Sudden, prolonged, repetitive diarrhoea - is this Diverticulitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently I have had a bout of repetitive diarrhoea which lasted two weeks.  I was having to go to the loo every 30-40 minutes, day and night.  I got no sleep and I am ragged!  I did not have an infection and it was not "travellers tummy".  I did not feel ill and I had no pain or discomfort, nor any other symptoms apart from the desperate urgency to "go"  - I have had unreliable bowels for several months, with the occasional "anal leakage" - embarrassing episodes when I have soiled my knickers badly.  Does this sound like Diverticulitis?  Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you been putting up with your problem all this time, without seeing a doctor??
    • Posted

No, I went to the Doctor on Monday this week and he has referred me to the hospital Consultant for bowel disorders.  I just thought it sounds like Diverticulitis - I have two friends who suffer from this.   Thanks for your concern Jacqueline! Much appreciated!!
    • Posted

Pain and Diverticulitis are BIG friends, so it may not be that. You may

have picked a bug up from somewhere --as we all do--and it's being

kicked out by your body

• Posted

I would definitely see what the hospital says and well worth getting it all checked properly.  Looking back (and never having gone to the doctor) I certainly would not have related my earlier problems with what I have experienced over the past year which was totally different but now I have a diagnosis I'm just relieved so that I can start to get better.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your concern Laura - from what I have recently read on this Forum, I think I am getting off lightly!!  No pain or discomfort at all - just the terrible, urgent frequency and messy pants!!  Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi I had a bad attack of diverticulitis with severe pain and bleeding. I was in hospital for a week on drips every day and the consultant diagnosed me with diverticulitis. Looking back, I think I had mild attacks on and off over the years before the bad attack happened. I have'nt had much problems since. At least you are going to see a consultant so you will know what's going on.  
  • Posted

it could be an overgrowth of bacteria in the stomach or h pylori..a breath test would show this...ct scan for diverticulitis....or ibs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.