Sudden raised TSH after 10 years on thyroxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have been on a steady dose of 100mcg for around 10 years but in the last 4 months my TSH has gone from normal range to over 20, wondered if anyone else has experienced this, I have an appointment with my Gp this week. 

Thanks, 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I recently went through a regression in my hypothyroidism and I found out that the pharmacy had changed the manufacturing company of my Levothyroxine from Sandoz to Lannett. Sandoz’s plant in Puerto Rico (I believe)  was effected by a hurricane so their plant is supposedly not fully up and running my brother said who works in the pharmacy. They refilled my rx with Sandoz kind and everything is normal again. Just a thought!
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, there tends to be a lot of variation in meds. Allowable +/-10% from label dose, change in manufacturing facilities, even substitutions by pharmacists.  Any of these could result in a problem. 

As grr mentions, and since your TSH continues to spike, first check to see if the pharmacy had changed you rx.

If you can’t  find anything related to prescriptions, you might examine your diet and stress levels as deficiencies can cause hypothyroid.

Also, check into environmental triggers, as mercury, bromine, and waste from power plants are known to cause hypothyroid disease.  We have a lot of nuclear power where I live and the power plants are at the end of their lifespan, so there’s been a huge spike in thyroid disease. Of course, there’s been very little media coverage of the poorly operating plants pumping out nuclear waste, which they keep saying are closing, but are still in operation years later.

• Posted

Hi,

I have very recently. I went from 3.6 to 18. I had my annual thyroid bloods done in February. I’ve had three increases since and I’m feeling like a very different person to last year. I went through a lot of emotional stress last year so I know it is this that has caused this change. 

I’ve cleaned up my diet, reintroduced exercise and all is good now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.