Sudden Rapid Weight Loss - Donnington Disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone! I'm 25 years old, male and since last October I seem to have started rapidly losing weight (with the exception of my stomach area which is continuing to gain weight for yet unexplained reasons). The rest of my body however is becoming worryingly skinny, to the point my ribs are sticking out my chest and my knees look massive compaired to the rest of my legs.

I recently had a doctor check my weight, which was around 8.5 stone, previously I was well over 10 stone before. I appear to have shrunk too, with my height being 5'7" as opposed to 5'11 previously.

I suspect this this weight loss is related to an undiagnosed progressive illness I've been battling for over 3 years, which I now refer to as "Donnington Disease". This illness has been causing a whole bunch of horrible symptoms over these 3+ years, with my main complaints being degenerative, steadily worsening brain symptoms (mainly affecting processing speed, recall and emotions), mental exhaustion, constant headaches and head pains, aggrivating head feelings, insomnia, tiredness, weakness, exertional breathlessness and various heart arrhythmias (including SVT attacks and bigeminy). Until I get a proper diagnosis and find treatment for this illness, my life is basically put on hold for the time being.

This weight loss is really worrying for me as I eat plenty of healthy food and take a good amount of fats in my diet. And I also spend most of my time in my house and hardly ever go outside nowadays thanks to my illness. And with symptoms like this appearing, it makes me wonder what kind of illness this really is.

Do any of you guys on here have any idea what could possibly bring on rapid weight loss like this, especially along with an illness like the one I'm describing? Thanks guys!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Lack of sleep causes weight loss among most of the other things you mentioned. Once you have good rest and eat right, you will start to put the weight back on after weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.