Sudden relapse incontenece

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had radical prostectomy 9 weeks ago. I had gained almost complete control of bladder, few dribble while coughing etc. and had no overnight problems.

Now although my daytime problems have remained almost non existent, I have complete loss of control at night.p (while asleep)  I completely soak through heavy pads, soaking sheets etc. and am going to have to go to full diapers.

Has anyone else experienced this, urologist said to continue exercises, which I have been, but the complete setback has left me depressed and bewildered.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

keep your head up, you are VERY LUCKY, I am almost a year in and had complete incontinence for a lot longer than that, just have started going all day with out pads, but I wear one at night just for confidence but occasioinally I need it, I wore full diapers for 6 months, and I'm only 52, good luck and keep your head up, I found the best way to do the exercises was walking.......

• Posted

Yes, kegels while walking combined with the tremendously skilled and experienced surgeon that performed my RALRP is what I truly believe worked out very well for me.  Also, during idle time while standing with feet pointed 45 degrees out.  For 2 - 3 months pre-RALRP fast-pace walked 4 to 5 miles at least 4 days a week. Doing 10 to 12 reps, holding each for a count of at least 12-one-thousand.  Try to do 4 to 5 sets of them spread through out the walk.  Also, often mixed in a few sets of quick hold kegels, about 20 per set. Result for me was 100% dry from the moment after catheter removal with no leaks even when coughing or sneezing.  I was advised to keep up the exercises as well to continue to strengthen, which I did.  I can't end here without also adding a thank God almighty for my best 4-legged Husky type friend Alpha who through rain, heat, cold, or shine is always ready to go!  Having him really helped get me out there, and always makes it fun.

• Posted

The first thing to do to help with night time event is to STOP drinking anything say 3-4 hrs before going to bed.

And DO NOT have tea or coffee say 5-6 hrs before bed because they stimulate the bladder to pee.

• Posted

Hello,

I'd say follow your urologist's advice: Exercise.  The "set back" may be no more than a fluke. Generally, post-surgery incontinence is least likely while you're horizontal, so the fact that it's suddenly an issue seems odd. Are you sleeping in a different position or have you changed your sleeping hours? Are you drinking more prior to bedtime?  Do you have any physical pain or sensations from your bladder?

I'm at 3 months from my prostatectomy. I've never had a problem overnight and into morning, but the drips begin by early afternoon. And I do sufer "stress" incontinence when I walk on the treadmill (2 miles per day).  I have a desk job and find myself in the restroom every 30 minutes or so in the morning hours. I struggle with a continuing sensation in my penis that I have to pee - even right after I've gone. This sensation intensifies into the evening hours.  To be sure, we (prostatectomy survivors) have been dealt a difficult hand, but I believe thinks will get better. It's in the medical literature. It just times time. You can do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.