Sudden ringing in my left ear along with a slight full feeling and pitch change

Posted , 93 users are following.

So about a week ago when going to sleep I noticed I had a constant ringing in my left ear, which I thought nothing of. It wasn't until the morning when the ringing hadn't gone that I started to worry. That was also when I noticed the fullness and slight hearing loss, so I instantly thought it was wax and tried a couple of days of ear drops to try and shift what ever was in there.

A week later and I'm still experiencing the same issues. I saw a doctor yesterday who informed me I had a slight external ear infection in the ear which he gave me drops for, as well as eustachian tube dysfunction. Apparently it was the eustachian tube dysfunction that was causing the ringing and fullness. At the time that made sense, as the ear just feels like I need to pop it, and it never pops when I hold my nose and try and blow, but today I was able to pop the left ear, though nothing changed.

Does popping the ear not give instant relief of ear ringing? It is really starting to worry me that I have some how caused permanent damage to my ear.

5 likes, 120 replies

120 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, i  am in US and got the problem in the left ear in Feb 2014, it suddenly started ringing. I met with the first doctor who cleaned little wax and gave me antibiotics but still there was ringing. I showed to another ENT doctor who recomended hearing test and that was 95% good, little hearing loss but i do not feel anything. I took eardrops, some old grandmother formulas but nothing helped. In the evening the pitch is high... no clue what to do!! I finally had MRI and the results were fine with no major issues. I am still looking for someone who can give solution to ringing in the left ear.. Doctors say!! " you have to live with this" .

If you come thru some solution anywhere in the world, let me know.

They say Its "Tinnitus"  Anyone who can advise the remedy please!!

• Posted

Hi James, just to say I also suffered (many years ago) with a ringing in my right ear which was due to a virus.  Honestly I went to this man who prays for the sick and the noise disappeared!  I used to try and get to sleep at night with the radio on beside me.  After the noise went everything was lovely and peaceful!  Alice x

• Posted

same here its came to me when i gone for swim on beach after 2 days im on war zone with my self on friggin ears it was 2016 april 24th as i remember still its been riging like hell! ive done the same things! as  u done! got done CT scan on brain ! and done 2 saparate hearing tests and 95% is hearing ok but when i plug ear phone on my ear its get low on left ear but right ear is doing just fine!

ive taken some pill ent gave me named *Ginko Ibola* 

its been  a almost a year any help ?

• Posted

Hi, i have had this condition on and off (mainly on) for a few years now, i have something called otitis externa, my doc always gives me anti-biotic drops which work for a while, she has said i may lose soe hearing, which i already have, my symptoms are blocked or fullness in the ear and high pitch whistling/ringing. Never used head phones, but i get it more if i go swimming or go on a plane. So now i use swim plugs, and flight plugs. its a horrible annoying condition which my doc has said it is one of those things but to always attend the doc if it hurts. As i sit here my ear is full feeling and ringing....
  • Posted

Hello James,

I have the exact same symptoms as you and ironically starting on the exact same date. I have gone to 2 different ENTS. The first treated me for ottitis externa in both ears, using Ciprodex for 10 days. That help with the itching, and wet feeling, however the ringing has still persisted. I also have cracking and popping every time I swallow, which I'm assuming is related to my Eustachian Tube. I have some high frequncy hearing loss, but nothing abnormal. I also went to a dentist 2 months after being treated for Ottitis Externa. The dentsit said I had severe bruxism and fitted me for a occlusal guard. He also stated that my jaw was slightly misaligned. You may want to see a dentist if you cannot find answers. However this had not helped with any of my ear issues yet.

My ringing is still there, it's high pitch and in both ears, sounds like a ringing and a hissing sound. 24/7, doesn't stop.  

I am wondering if your ringing has gone away or if you have found out what is going on with you. Pleaset let me know.

• Posted

I've had it in the left ear for years and during my recent holiday it became much worse and aggravating. I read on here about Ephedrine nasal drops being used to successfully stop it, so decided to try it and after 3 nights use it has stopped. You can only use it for 7 applications, so I am hoping against hope that it has finally gone for good...anyhow it's not expensive (although I found it hard to get and chemists kept offering my Sudafed, but I finally managed to order it from an independant chemist who ordered it for me) and am just keeping my fingers crossed that it has stopped for good...worth a try..!!
    • Posted

Did the ephedrine keep this stuff away? I am wanting a solution and this is the next best thing if it worked!
    • Posted

Unfortunately it came back with a vengeance and also now suffering from acute dizziness as well. Am seeing ENT doctor on Thursday, as the drops he gave me for my nose make my eyes blurry and I already suffer from ARMD and damage caused to optic nerve after a stroke. So, I am a wreck at the moment.  The vertigo was so bad yesterday after taking an anti-sick pill, that I couldn't walk unaided. So no drops and no anti-sick pills. Will have to put up with scabby bunged up nose and bad tinnitus.
    • Posted

Wow, so sorry to hear. Really hope the ENT can help. I just have the ringing in my left ear for about 5 weeks now following a headache. Have requested to see an ENT and waiting for referral. Noticed that my ears crackle when I swallow now which seems to be an issue with a lot of people. We all just keep searching the Internet for some for of "answer" that doesn't seem to be there. Best of luck.
    • Posted

help help...I just experiencing it an hour ago...and it was really worried me....only left ear though but it really gave me uneasy feel... a year ago I just felt blocked and go to ent and my problem solved as the ent clear my wax away..but just an hour ago....it suddenly blocked and ringing but I still can hear with my left ear when I rubbed my fingers...someone?
    • Posted

I am having same feeling buzzing in right ear 24x7 took antibiotics still issue intact. Dont know what to do

• Posted

I have all of the symptoms listed above. Fullness, ringing, dizzy bouts. I was diagnosed with menieurs disease. Unfortunately no cure but you can manage the triggers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.