Sudden rise in BP

Posted , 30 users are following.

Last Thursday  I had my blood pressure checked at GPS and it was 143/93 which was great as it was the lowest it has been since the beginning of the year. Friday morning it was 171/114,Sat 175/115. Sun 180/123' so getting really worried. Also very bad right sided headache. Phoned GP who asked me to come in ASAP and then admitted me to hospital. Whilst in hospital BP went up to 210/145 at its worst, Enalapril dosage doubled and BP eventually settled. My question is why would it have suddenly shot up like that. Also is headache normal with very high BP (I rarely suffer from headaches). Hasanything similar happened to other people?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

you have high blood pressure.  Normal is about 120/80 but it does vary a bit from person to person.  i would imagine headache is normal with high bp.  Have you been given blood pressure tablets to take?  You will need regular checkups and this is very important to keep up.

Richard

• Posted

I do indeed havebhigh blood pressure and have had it for  15 years. I know what normal is and mine is never that low. My question however was not the diagnosis but why it has risen so quickly and suddenly. My GP has not been able to give an explanation. As for  regular check ups being needed , this is stating the bleeding obvious. I have many LHCs and have regular checks on all of them.i do take tablets and have taken different ones for 15 + years.
    • Posted

You are right, I do. My concern was why it had risen so suddenly.
    • Posted

Oh c'mon now peoples, Richard is only trying to be helpful.

Gill, how were your blood test results today?   Has the abnormal one of 10 days ago sorted itself out - I do hope so.

My appointment with the GP on Friday saw my BP very high at its usual surgery/hospital levels - systolic 200!  At home, taking it three times each evening, two minutes apart is coming out at an average of around 155-165 systolic, 85-ish diastolic.  A GP referral to a gym is being arranged (my suggestion to the consultant which he has passed to the GP).  There's nothing in my diet that I can change, I brisk walk for half an hour each day and my BMI is just within normal limits, but everything is worth a try with my drug sensitivity.  I've had a blood test today to check my cholesterol to see if my creatinine/protein levels are improving following a couple of weeks off the offending Indapamide.  First time ever that my arm has been a problem giving up its blood, but eventually a butterfly needle was used and the blood was released slowly but surely, with the technician saying that she'd used a needle usually reserved for babies!  I also delivered a urine sample to the Path Lab to check whether my creatinine/protein levels are improving following two weeks off the offending Indapamide.  Have got to have another blood test next Thursday, this time for the renal consultant.  Meanwhile GP has now referred me to another Dr at the practice to check on a very small red spot on my shoulder which has been there for a couple of months.  Wish I was 17 again!

• Posted

Sorry if I sound flippant as you obviously have some very serious health issues but I couldn't resist commenting on your last sentence - no way would I want to be 17 again!!! 71 is better, I feel more comfortable in my skin than I did at 17, probably because I've had lots of time to become used to it.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Jane, absolutely no apologies necessary.  For me 72 is ok but I did love being 17 - first serious romance and all that I suppose!razz

Your post has just made me chuckle so I'm off to bed with a smile on my face.lol

• Posted

The blod tests were ok. The abnormal one was liver function but not severely abnormal and has to be rechecked n 2 months. My BP is now back to,it's normal level for me -around 140/90 on average which my GP is happy with. I too wish I was much younger - maybe not teens as I found the difficult but certainly early twenties. So sorry to hear that things are still not great with you. Keep in touch!
    • Posted

Gill, so glad for you that your BP has normalised.  Perhaps the abnormal liver function test is due to the doubling of the Enalapril dose when you were hospitalised, as it is a known side effect?  At least, they're monitoring it so will be able to act if it hasn't improved at the next test - good luck!
    • Posted

I didn't 't know impaired liver function was a known side effect of Enalapril so thank you for that info.  So far on the whole my BP is average. Long may it continue!
    • Posted

My blood pressure (taken one a week) has always been normal with low dose ace inhibitor  lisinopril 5mg once a day and low dose CoReg 3mg twice a day. Around august 4this year I started feeling a dull headache and my BP was around 135-140/95. My cardio told me via phone to monitor it. After a week went back to normal 110-115/75. All was well for two months until October 3 when I felt that old headache again. Sure enough, 135-145/95/100. Just got off the phone today with the cardio nurse and they increased my lisinopril to 10 mg once a day. This could go down by itself again like last time but I think I will increase it to 10.I don't see the doctor until dec 13. Why can this be happening? My kidney labs were normal in February and were always normal. I wonder if I should ask for more in depth adrenal testing like cortisol,renin or aldosterone? 

Have you solved your BP issues?

• Posted

He’s trying to be helpful for gods sake...keep a lid on it,!

• Posted

I can induce changes in my BP by having a few extra drinks, gaining weight,by stopping my walks for a week or so, by taking ibuprofen for pain for a month or two, or even watching a scary movie.....worse if I add salt to the popcorn. Under added stress these days? Mind you 143/93 as a 'norm' is way too high for me and suggest you try to change meds to find something more suitable. How is your blood sugar and kidney function? do you drink lots of water? Does your heart rate also rise with the BP rise? or does it stay the same (which would be better)? Halter Monitor from your cardiologist would be helpful here - best of luck.
  • Posted

You should have your renin production looked at, if it is low then it's almost always an aldosterone issue. (Hope I spelled it right) anyway aldosterone is produced by the adrenaline gland and it's what keeps the balance of your bodies fluids through sodium retention. Sometimes renin is low so they have to give you an aldosterone inhibitor and sometimes your adrenaline gland gets hit with a growth causing it to over produce aldosterone and as a result your bp goes into crazy land numbers. Get it checked man, it often gets overlooked and if it ends up being the case then you may not need the bp meds. Don't stop taking them until your doctor tells you though.
  • Posted

My doctor thinks that at my age (71), my BP should be 135-150 systolic, <95 diastolic. i was surprised to hear this (esp. as she said it shouldn't fall below 135), but find it is a fairly normal opinion in europe. one must ask why in america much lower values are suggested.  diastolic.="" i="" was="" surprised="" to="" hear="" this="" (esp.="" as="" she="" said="" it="" shouldn't="" fall="" below="" 135),="" but="" find="" it="" is="" a="" fairly="" normal="" opinion="" in="" europe.="" one="" must="" ask="" why="" in="" america="" much="" lower="" values="" are="">

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.