Sudden Rise of Blood Pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've never had high blood pressure, worst was pre-hypertension, around the 130s/ mid 80s. However, I suddenly had an increase of BP over a one week period, last day ended up at 170/120. Went to the ER, the tests came back negative, but I was prescribed lisinopril and now I have high BP daily. I had a sudden death in the family, and I do drink a few times a week, but I had quit smoking 6 months ago, so I'm not sure why my BP just started rising suddenly. Anyone have the same experience?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

BP can rise if your had a change in life style, a life changing event, ot other health conditions including genetic conditions, that could be a trigger. 
  • Posted

grapes1800...First of all, you did the right thing by going to the ER. Stress can cause all sorts of things to the body. You had a sudden death in the family, & I'm sure that affected you badly. Some people think they're ok with things, when in reality, they truly are not. You quit smoking which is a good thing. Try to relax, & don't drink. Alcohol while taking medications is never a good thing. While having a drink may help relax you considering all you're going through, it's not good for the body especially since you are now on bp medication. 

You went on to say you have high bp daily. Are you monitoring your bp? If over a period of a week or so, & you find the numbers are not coming down, you should consult your doctor. Be sure to take the readings when you have not eaten, bathed, showered, drank coffee/tea, or exercised within 30 min. of taking the reading. Sit with your feet flat on the floor, your back supported by the chair.

Place the cuff about 1/2" above the bend in the elbow & also ensure the tube runs down the inside of your arm & meets up with your middle finger. The cuff should be snug..so as to insert two fingers in the top, but so the fingers can 'just' get in. When the cuff is placed on your arm, be sure it's level with the heart. Place your arm on a table, as even with your heart as possible, with palm UP. Then take the reading. Take 3 consecutive readings each about 1-2 min. apart. Total, then average them. The average is your reading. If your monitor can be set to automatically take 3 readings, then provide the average, that's good too. It save you the aggravation of doing the math. lol

I hope you feel better soon. My sincerest condolences.

• Posted

Hi grapes, just wanted to see how you are doing now? I am having the same problem in sudden spikes of my blood pressure. I've never had high blood pressure before either. It was mild at first now it's more frequently getting higher especially in the mornings. Been to cardiologist he found heart murmur.

I did the 48 hour Holter monitor because I was getting irregular heartbeats and fast heart rate at rest. I'm waiting to do an echocardiogram to figure this all out.

Been feeling exhausted, weak, and lightheaded.

I heard it could be a thyroid issue also. I will probably get mine checked after I see the cardiologist. Might as well get your vitamins checked also, I was low on vitamin D.

Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi taro,

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to monitor how my BP is by skipping a dose and seeing what it's like, spiked back up so I am back on it. The ER doc had told me it was just blood pressure due to age, but I heard that is uncommon but all the tests came back negative so I am hoping it's not because some other cause. (Not sure if they check for thyroid problems as I'm sure it's probably not one of the basic tests they draw from the blood work). I've had Vitamin D deficiency for a while, so have been on Vitamin D for a wihle too.

I hope your echocardiogram goes well and that it is an innocent heart murmur. I was scared at first as well and still am anxious, but I am holding in there. I hope you start feeling better and let me know how the tests go.

• Posted

grapes1800...doesn't it make your blood boil when a Dr. says.."it's because of age". That a lot of B.S.  Sometimes things can be related to age, but a lot do not. Thyroid is usually asked to be tested as an 'extra' when ordering bloodwork. I don't think it's automatic. 

Vitamin D deficiency COULD cause a spike in bp especially if it's quite low. Builing the level up to where it should be can take quite a while. I've been taking 1,000 I/U for about 2 months now, & my Vitamin D level has only gone up 3 points! I was at 62, now I'm at 65. The lowest end of the scale is 75, so I don't have that far to go. My Dr. told me he has some patients who have Vit. D scores in the 20's., so I'm certainly not badly off. He wants my score to get to 100..so I've got some work to do about that. Now that the weather is improving, I can get out for more walks, then there will be more sunshine.

• Posted

Hi grapes,

Just wanted to check and see how things are going for you? Any improvements?

After all tests from the cardiologist, 48 hour holster monitor and echocardiogram everything is normal. Unfortunately the echo pictures weren't very clear. Doctor said it was because I was skinny and didn't have much fat. If that makes any sense.

It still doesn't explain my random high blood pressure spikes especially in the morning and at night. I get a lot of head pressure when it happens.

I've been to the endocrinologist and everything is normal. My doctor recently did a vitamin b6 test and it was elevated. Not sure if that could be the cause. I asked my neurologist and He was no help. He said it shouldn't and He doesn't do b6 it's not his criteria.

I keep thinking maybe when my vitamin d levels goes up then the blood pressure will get better. I've raised it from 13 to 30. I have to try to get to 50. I'm not sure what to do next.

• Posted

I also take Lisinopril. my blood pressure spikes at night usually 190 over 96 give or take a few. it makes me feel weird and I can feel the pulse pounding in my left ear and sometimes I can't hear very good. I just take some klonopin and sometimes a quarter of a 20 milligram Lisinopril and wait for it to go down. I have been to the hospital for this more than once and there's nothing they can do because they say I'm taking enough BP medicine. I'm taking some magnesium to help. I'm just at my wit's end for any help. I have been to my Dr made phone calls. they did up my lisinopril from 10 milligrams at night to 20 milligrams and I take 20 milligrams in the morning. I'm just trying to deal with this on my own. sometimes it gives me bad nightmares or vivid dreams. like I said I'm just at my Wit's End and trying to get through each day One at a time. my family is tired of it and doesn't want to hear about it. thanks everyone. Diana

• Posted

diana88467...have your Dr. test you for pulsatile tinnitus. That's what causes the 'heartbeat' in your ears. Also, why not ask to have your Carotid artery checked. That can cause the same thing.

• Posted

Thanks Mike I do get my carotid artery checked I have echoes just had one done in fact I don't know what the other test avention that starts with a T is but I have heard it sometimes you have a large blood vessel that runs close to the back of the ear and so I'm thinking that could be it because I've told the doctors many times about it thanks for your reply and caring

• Posted

diana88467...You're most welcome! I recently had vascular doppler or whatever they're called on my arms, legs & carotid artery..for a 'just in case' investigation. All is well. I had pulsatile tinnitus, but the ENT said he couldn't find anything wrong, even after having me get a CT scan done on my head. Everything was normal there. Of course my friends joke about that. lol

Sometimes I get the heartbeat sound, sometimes I don't..but I can tell you that if I'm stressed, it becomes very apparent. Please don't take offence, but if you're stressed, this can do a lot of things you don't want, so try to be as cool as you can...know you're doing everything you possibly can, & leave it at that. I know what it's like to have people give off the impression they're tired of hearing about it, but they get upset if you don't tell them. So, that puts you between a rock & hard place. Why not locate an advocate..someone you can talk with the odd time. At least that would be someone who will listen.

• Posted

Thanks again Mike I have had two CT scans this year because of my high blood pressure M14 actually my blood pressure dropping have a lot of BP problems but I think it's just related to age and I do have a lot of stress especially because the doctors want to take me off of anxiety pills because I take pain meds trying to get the situation straightened out but I had this way before this started it's a big mess but I'm learning to deal with it you know if it's my time to go it is as I am 70 now I may not look it but the facts are you can't live forever you are probably much younger so I hope you have good health for the rest of your life

• Posted

Diana88467..why not ask the Dr to leave you alone where the anxiety pills are concerned? If you're having pain you likely are having stress & having street worrying about him/her taking you off the anxiety med only compounds the problem. 

I tooam learning to deal with my ailment but I feel the Dr I had last year who told me it was my sensory nerves, was lazy & considering it's supposed to be my nerves because of 2 irritated nerves in the spine.. well I think all that's going on..hard to believe this is because of just 2 nerves. So I have my GP making a referral to a neurology clinic. I hopefully can get an appt in 2 months as opposed to 4-5 here in my area. THE ODD pins/needles sensation is progresssing so something's definitely going on. I refused gabapentin from my GP as I told him that med did nothing for the burning & the pins/needles are tolerable besides..I can't tell him if things are progressing if meds are masking it. I did the right thing. Yes I get to the end of my tether but I do my best. There must be a way to stop the progression. I'm told surgery on the spine is very risky but in my mind if there's another aggravating factor then I need to find out what it is..IF the doctor (neuro) is diligent & not lazy. 

Im not much younger than you..by just 1 year. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.