Sudden rushes of dizziness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Every now and then i get sudden rushes of dizziness. It feels like i lose control and I am totally out of it. I think it lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds though I'm not really sure. It usually happens whilst I'm standing. Noise becomes unclear or at least i can't make sense of it. It is hard to describe as i can't really remember it.

It happens randomly, it could happen once over three days or happen three times in a day.

I saw my GP about it just under two years ago and he didn't really give a clear answer. I'm asking here first because I'm not good with the doctors as i find it a rather nervous experience and hard to communicate with them. Also I don't like going there often especially for nothing serious like this.

It doesn't really affect my life, I'm a healthy 16 year old male, I'm just curious to find out why this happens and whether it is normal.

Dylan.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It is not normal. Wondering why can't you remember? Do you feel the room spinning or is it just like an internal dizziness?

• Posted

Could be alot of things. Most dizziness is caused by a inner ear problem. Depends also what you mean by dizzy. Doc will ask you this to. Does the world seem like it's spinning faster type feeling. Like your standing still and things are still moving. That's vertigo. Feel light headed, rocking sensation etc. Gp was probably unclear cause without tests he had no idea but didn't want to say. High salt/ sodium diet can cause it. Caffeine. Even the seasons changing can set mine off. Lots of things. ENT may be more helpful. Neurotologist . As they specialize in these areas. But I imagine you need a referral from a Gp to go to one of those. Gp may get you in to see a therapist who does vestibular rehab. They can do a couple easy tests. Head turning stuff etc. Can tell you alot as well. The more info you can give them the better they can diagnose what's wrong. Some meds can also cause this. When it first happens it's scary. I have had it for 10 years. It still sucks. But I try to remember what's going on so I can tell docs and therapist what i felt. I get these spells to. Sometimes it is nothing. Sometimes it's a warning to what is to come. Don't want to scare you but sometimes I get small.dizzy spells before a good episode of vertigo. You need to talk to your doc. Tell him all the details. Dizzy, spinning sensation, nausea, hearing problems, blurred vision, anything you can remember. Vertigo/ dizziness is considered a symptom not a disease.

• Posted

Hi D12345689,

If you are experiencing a room spinning type of dizziness, then you are probalby experiencing BPPV.  This condition has dizzy eppisodes that normally last < 30 seconds.  BPPV is caused by dibris in the ear canal that can cause spinning dizziness when it moves around in the ear canal due to changes in head position.  (Like rolling over in bed)  Do you notice if your dizziness is associated with a head position change.  If this makes sense you should look up the epley maneuver.  This is a series of head position chagnes that can be used to move the dibris out of the ear canal where it will no longer cause the symtpoms.  The Dix-Halpike manuever is normally used by Drs to test for BPPV.  You can probably look these up online and give these a try yourself.  BPPV is a very common and treatable condition.

• Posted

But in order to treat bppv and use the epely maneuver properly doesn't he need to know which ear is affected first? Had it done at PT Friday. First she had to figure out which ear was causing the problem.

• Posted

Yes, the first half of the epley maneuver is the dix-hallpike that is used to determine which side left or right has the problem.  There are good videos for this online, better than I can explain with text. 
    • Posted

Two years like this and the doctors havent even tested him for this. Maybe he needs a new doctor.
    • Posted

I so hated that. Lol. Already dizzy. Make me dizzier to see what side it was. Told her VNG said was left side.

• Posted

Depending on where he lives. Around here first thing they assume is your on dope,drunk, abusing something. At his age they probably dont listen to him. They should have atleast did a couple simple tests. Or refered him to a ENT.
    • Posted

Oh that's true, there's also the chance of substance abuse too, which if they asked him and he said yes, then with even more reason to dismiss him.

Reminds me I had an acquaintance whose 18 yr old kid had dizzy spells. They couldn't find what was wrong with him after going to the doctors numerous times. Turns out he was smoking pot, marijuana. I said, well no wonder he's messed up, doing drugs will mess anyone up. I never spoke to her again after I said that.

• Posted

Yeah, you're right. Forgot about that. I can see why they're dismissing him now. Especially when they're not finding anything. Makes you wonder if there's more to the story.

• Posted

They do random drug tests even on me. I am 53. If they find anything , they don't want you as a patient no more. They notify all the other places so you can't get another doc. They notify your insurance company and they won't pay any of the bills. Esp the drug test bill which was $1300. They take it pretty serious now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.