Sudden severe balance problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

So some of you might know of my ankle surgery last summer that left me with non wor toes. A year later they still don't work, so I have mild balance issues.

Anyways, yesterday evening I went to pull my walker out of my friend's van, and without warning I lost my balance and nearly fell.

This continued in the house, at least dozen times before bed.

This morning I was still having issues. I couldn't get off the couch without calling back on it. Thank God it was there.

This continues through the day. I nearly fell a few times while walking.

I emailed my dr who got back to me suggesting that it might be an inner ear problem. He says if it continues into Wednesday that I'm to make an appointment to see him.

What do you think?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kristina. I read your post. It's could be a number of things. I've learned a lot over the last few years. I've been diagnosed with having a history of Ischemic Thrombosis Strokes, Lacunar Strokes on the right side of my brain, White Brain Matter Disease, Complex Partial Seizure Disorder & Simple Partial Seizure Disorder, Peripheral Neuropathy in both feet and hands, Type II Diabetes, Sciatic nerve pain in my lower back, I deal with dizziness, balance issues and headaches every day 24/7, Coranary Artery disease. So as you can see I do have a little experience with Neurological disorders. Yes, your situation could have something to do with your inner ear, on the other hand it could have something to do with your Cerebellum area of your brain. The Cerebellum is located in the lower back of the brain. The Cerebellum handles motor skill functions, if you have any issues within your Cerebellum it could cause balance issues, but so could the White Brain Matter. We have Grey and White Matter. I have White Brain Matter Disease, which some of the symptoms are falling down, balance issues etc. The Neurologist found mine by doing an MRI brain scan. So I hope that was hopeful. You can Google Cerebellum and it will give you a diagram of the brain and it's exact location and the symptoms if you have a problem with it. I use a walker and a cane. My walker is my lifeline. I fall down a lot and if it wasn't for my walker I couldn't get around like I do. Please post later on, I'd be interested in knowing what they find out.

• Posted

I never knew we had white matter, thought it was only grey matter.

I hope to get to the bottom of this soon.

• Posted

I've not been able to reply to this due to an account deactivation for unknown reasons. Just got my account reactivated.

2 days after the balance issues started, my left leg suddenly became weak and has been constantly buckling under me as I walk, even going down stairs.

My dr thinks it's neurological, not an inner ear problem like he initially thought.

The question is now, what will the neurologist do, I'm waiting on an appointment with him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.