Sudden severe pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello there

I am now 10 days post op and until 2 days ago was feeling well and on track with recovery, according to the hospital and online opinions..doing my exercises and walking a little with 2 crutches...the swelling is also gradually reducing. Two nights ago, I got up to use the bathroom to realise I couldn't put my leg down as putting the weight through it caused excrutiating pain..yesterday I spent the day resting it and taking more and heavier pain relief. In the night I was woken by burning pain in my heel and sharp pain on the front of my foot across the toes..I am still unable to put any weight through the leg due to severe pain. I'm obviously a little worried and disappointed as I had been doing so well...has any one any ideas?...should I be resting it or moving it?..thank you in advance for your thoughts..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, its always a worry when we get severe pain. I would go to my Dr and get that checked. If it is an issue they can get on to it. If its all ok then you have peace of mind.

Good luck.

• Posted

I AM 11 DAYS POST OP - RTHR - AND CAME HOME FROM IN PATIENT REHAB YESTERDAY. I AM THRILLED TO BE HOME, AND HONESTLY MUST SAY THAT NOT ONCE HAVE I BEEN PAIN FREE. IT IS CERTAINLY MUCH BETTER THAN WHEN I CAME OUT OF SURGERY AND I DID GREAT IN REHAB, YET HAVE HAD VARIOUS DEGREES OF PAIN. DURING ONE REHAB SESSION I HAD PAINFUL SPASMS IN MY GROIN THAT WERE RELIEVED BY SITTING AND AN ICE PACK.

I HAD BEEN OFF PAIN MEDS FOR 4-5 DAYS AND LAST NIGHT WEIGHT BEARING BECAME SO PAINFUL THAT I TOOK 1/2 TAB OF PAIN MEDS. HAD BOTH KNEES REPLACED IN 2011 AND IT WAS A BREEZE COMPARED TO THIS. UNFORTUNATELY, I DID NOT HAVE THE ANTERIOR SURGERY AND HAVE OFTEN SAID THAT I FEEL AS THOUGH I'VE BEEN ATTACKED BY A SHARK. MY EXPECTATIONS MUST HAVE BEEN WAY OFF IE MANY OTHERS HAVE SAID THAT WITHIN A WEEK THEY WERE FEELING GREAT. I HAD BEEN VERY ACTIVE AND THE PAST YEAR YEAR MY ACTIVITY LEVEL DECLINED DUR TO PAIN. 2 MRI's WITHIN 1 YEAR SHOWED SEVERE DETERIORATION OF MY HIP AND I ALSO DEVELOPED AVN.

HAVING SAID THAT, I THINK YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR SURGEON ASAP. I HAVE NO IDEA IF WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IS NORMAL OR NOT BUT I WOULD GO TO THE EXPERTS WITH THE PAIN YOU HAVE DESCRIBED. PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED.

AS AN ASIDE, I HAVE A VISITING NURSE COMING TO MY HOME ON MONDAY TO DO AN ASSESSMENT AND SHE'LL ALSO MONITOR ME FOR A BIT BECAUSE I'M ON A BLOOD THINNER. WILL ALSO HAVE IN HOME PT AND AN AIDE TO HELP ME SHOWER.

SENDING HEALING THOUGHTS YOUR WAY.

GEORGETTE

• Posted

Because you say you were doing so well and this came on suddenly i wouldn't ignore it i would get straight to see someone as not trying to frighten you but you cannot be sure you haven't dislocated it.

You more than likely have just overdone it but seriously not worth the risk.

• Posted

sounds like it may be nerve pain perhaps? I am 4 weeks post op after THR and started with sciatica yesterday due to overdoing physio/exercises. get checked out to be safe x

• Posted

Hiya 😊 yep all of the above..

Also MrsHoppy...What a fantastic log in name..😀 Just love it...

Stay Safe & Stay Happy

Pete.😁

• Posted

pete...you crack me up😂 mrshoppy as in Mrs Hopkinson. my hubbys nick name is Hoppy and his mates call me mrs hoppy😂 hadnt even seen seen the connection till now. 👀😅

• Posted

Thank you all...

Have spoken to Dr...sounds like I've overdone the walking...I'll go to the surgery tomorrow and double check...

Onwards and upwards eh!...

• Posted

Hope all went well at the surgery today, was ya correct and you had over done the walking...😁

Stay Safe & Stay Happy..

Pete 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.