Sudden Sharp Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having pain in the left side of my chest, under my breast or on the side. It comes on suddenly, at times waking me while I am sleeping. It can happen when I am watching tv or reading. It is sharp, sometimes stabbing. Last year, I had to get a stent for a blockage in my right coronary artery, so when I get this pain I worry that it is my heart. Usually I take Tylenol and it goes away. Sometimes it lasts almost an hour, and I have been to the ER countless times, where after ekg, bloodwork, and chest xrays I am told I am ok. Has anyone else had the same experience?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do get sharp pain sometimes, although it's not a regular thing with me. I also take OTC meds and use cold packs in-between to make sure I'm keeping the inflammation down and the pain under control.

• Posted

Diane,

Thank you for your reply. The cold packs are a good idea. I will try that.

Nancy

• Posted

how did they find your previous blockage? if it was via the same kind of tests you should find comfort in them further tests knowing they are ok. I have heard costochondritis can cause shooting pains.

• Posted

Sophie,

They found my previous blockage by a CT Angiogram. I just had a video appointment with my cardiologist two days ago, and he ordered a stress test with echocardiogram. I just had one in October that was normal, but this is the next best thing to actually having a catheterization. I also have to wear a Cam monitor for seven days. This is similar to a holter monitor but it is smaller. It is so hard to know if my pain is heart-related or costochondritis.

Nancy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.