Sudden shellfish allergy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Went out for dinner at a seafood restaurant yesterday evening, and while eating lobster and shrimp, my face, specifically around my nose suddenly became extremely itchy.

As I continued to eat, the itchiness spread through my body, leaving irritated areas a bright red.

I stopped eating for a bit, the irritation weakened a bit, but flared up as soon as I started to eat again.

Crab did not bother me, but lobster and shrimp did.

24 hours later and I'm still itchy, as bad as yesterday, but it's a flare-up as it was somewhat under control most of today.

Its not hives, but rashes and raised red bumps. No other reaction has happened.

I see my dr next week and will ask him to refer me to an allergist, but it sounds like an allergic reaction does it not?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like one. I started with an itchy face and scalp about 4 months ago and have seen numerous GPs and Derms and have had lots of tests including some food allergy testing but nothing came back although the testing is limited. Currently I’m exploring a wheat or dairy intolerance as I think that the worst symptoms coincide with eating those and the rest of the time is dealing with an underlying ‘hum’ of itchiness like you describe. I have eaten wheat and dairy for all of my adult life without an issue but being perimenopausal seems  to open me up to lots of new challenges. Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Its 40 hours later, and I'd read that the reaction could last a day, but I'm still itchy this morning. If this is indeed a shellfish allergy, it's lasting too long.

• Posted

Weird. Well it sounds like mine. Itchy nose, ears, round the eyes, tops of cheeks and forehead mostly. Been ok for most of the day, just a little itching but like most days it flares up more from around 3pm onwards. Antihistamines don’t do much for me. Have tried gabapentin in case it’s neuropathic itch but nearly 2 weeks in and they aren’t working. It has to be a new food allergy but I don’t realky know what it could be. Of course for you  if it wasn’t the shellfish was it something else you ate that night that you’ve carried on eating? I’ve had tomatoes for lunch a lot and they are high in histamine so might make me itchier in the afternoons? It’s a puzzle. Keep a food diary?
    • Posted

I am allergic to tomatoes as well, but avoided dishes that had them, it was my only food allergy that I knew of.

My dr has told me if I start to get worse, go to the er. He's going to write me a script for an epi pen just in case I have worse trouble in the future.

• Posted

It’s a nightmare!! Hope your itching has subsided. I’ve not noticed any improvement as yet eliminating dairy and wheat but I think intolerances take a while to get out of your system. Well let’s hope thats the case or I’m back to square one! I also found wheat proteins in my shampoo and conditioner so sometimes what you are allergic to is everywhere! No tomatoes in anything else?
    • Posted

None, and I made sure of it.

The itching has subsided for the most part, but it took just over 48 hours to do so.

Hopefully I don't have a repeat of this again.

• Posted

That’s good then although I’m sure you are keen still to know what caused it. Wish mine would subside. Perhaps I eat nothing for a day (fast with water) and see if that helps!!!!!!
    • Posted

For some reason, it's flaring up again this morning. I really can't wait until I see the allergist, find out for sure what's going on.

• Posted

Curious on any updates. What did the allergist do for you? Hope you're better! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.