sudden unexplainable episode

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm hopping if anyone can shed some light to a recent episode that occured few weeks ago.

On my second visit to the gym after a 8 month break, i was performing high intensity interval training, I started to feel nauseas and dizzy which didn't bother me as i have felt this many times before, i continued and had to stop after 15 minutes as it got very severe.

I got into the car to drive home and within 5 minutes i got tingling sensations all over my body, then to my horror my fingers started to cramp up and curl up on themselves inwards, my feet tensed up and started to stretch out, my mouth become numb as if i was paralysed, sweating profusely and breathing like hyperventilation I truly believed this was the end, i tried to reach for my phone to call but due to my fingers all curled up i could not function, nor could i open my car door for the same reason.

My body just wanted to go into the fatal position, so I obliged and got myself slumped in fetal position.I don't know how long this episode lasted but it felt like about an hour - i suspect it probably lasted about 15 - 30 minutes before symptoms started to subside.

Once i could drive i got straight home and had an apple which i think helped - took a further 2 hours to get back to normal.

I have had this happen to me before on a boat, where the seas were very choppy and i was told i experienced severe sea sickness where the blood stops circulating to the end of my fingers, toes and mouth hence the cramping and curling up.

This occasion it happened after intensive exercise.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

A

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I am on Peroxitine (Seroxate) for General Anxiety disorder.

I did eat prior to going to gym - i had some porridge about an hour before

I dont smoke and only drink once a month or so

I dont do any kind of recreational drugs at all

​I am 44 years of age

• Posted

Hi

it could be lactic acidosis but if it happened on a boat before then it could be an inner ear issue that has caused a severe panic attack. I'm suffering from constant dizziness myself at the moment and at times get extremely anxious. I suffer similar symptoms to what you have described and I have to curl up until it passes. Maybe try not to work out quite so hard next time? But if it happens again then maybe visit your dr? 

Hope that helps! 

• Posted

Look up lactic acidosis, you may have worked out too hard.
    • Posted

hi all thanks for the advise - ive looked up Acidosis and the symptoms dont match im afraid sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.