Sudden, unintentional weight loss. Help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I am 21 years old and have experienced quite a weight loss in the last week. I got weight by a doctor a week ago and it went down 10kg since last October but then this week all of a sudden it dropped from 75kg to 70kg? I am normally health person the only problem that i have is iron deficiency anemia but the cause is unknown. In all honesty my anemia has been feeling a little bit more sever in the last month or so but i know that all of this is probably nothing serious. Its just hard not to worry especially when you get no reassurance from the doctor or anyone. I don't need or want anyone to tell me that its something serious i just need some reassurance and guidance. Should i go back to my doctor? Should i be even worried?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also, I have quite a few random bruises on my legs, it could be just that i just walked into something as my balance is terrible but i can't remember doing it especially in so many places and it looks like at this same time? and i never ever bruised easily before honestly it would take a car to give me a bruise.

• Posted

i would definitely go back to a dr to have your iron levels checked you dont want your anemia getting so out of hand that it puts you in the hospital. it sounds like its related to anemia in the meantime eat lots of iron rich foods and take an iron supplement to see jf it helps

• Posted

I know this conversation is old and perhaps people who left the message will not follow up, but I leave this message for those who read in future. It is related to unexplained weight loss. I promised my self that if I get well, I explain things to people who may be worried. You can do the same to come back later and guide other people to feel better. This definitely does not replace your doctor.

Early Symptoms : Cough, a lot of mucus, chest pain, lack of appetite, weight 72 kg

Early medical tests ((GP doctor, not knowing it is related to stomach) performed Corona test, blood tests, influenza, sonography liver etc, allergy, lung ventilation. These tests were normal.

Symptoms two months later: Less cough and mucus, big lack of appetite, weight decreased to 66.4 kg (from 72 kg)

Gastro doctor visited: New tests include heart, more blood tests, endoscopy with biopsy (showed chronic Gastritis), Colonoscopy with biopsy (a benign polyp, <1 cm), MRI (belly, throat, and head, ok), blood tests for various markers , sonography of belly, Helicobacter test (positive).

Medications for Helico bacter 3 months after start of early symptoms: Completed in two weeks triple therapy including 3 g of amoxycillin and 2 grams of tetracycline, and 2 PPI for the bacteria per day, it was painful to complete this. Weight was around 66-66.5 kg (the weight loss seemed stopped after endo-colonoscopy). I still had occasional feeling of fullness (lack of appetite), burning sensation in chest and stomach.

6 months later (after early symptom): Weight went up to 68.5 kg...after eating around 70 kg, but I definitely have stomach acid issue, feeling of heartburn and throat.

Conclusions: Do not know what the reasons were.

Recommendations: When getting unexplained weight loss, definitely visit doctors especially gastro doctors and do the tests (it is possible they done not find anything). But perhaps not all of them are very life threatening. I hope this helps you feel better.

• Posted

Its possible to lose weight over short periods. I think its best to eat healthy and take iron supplements. Its important to support body nutrition. Some metabolisms work harder then others. It depends on eating habits. Try eating more fruits, while staying in conditioning of eating other foods. I mean keep your calorie intake the same, but eat more fruits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.