Sudden worsening of hirsutism, graying and weight gain, what could be the cause?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 40 years old woman. In the past year I have experienced extreme worsening of hirsutism (facial hair), a lot of graying (pubic hair included), weight gain (even though I exercise and eat healthy) - mostly abdominal. 

All my results including hormones are normal. They tested me twice. Both of my ovaries are working (ovulating at the same time even).

My periods were normal and then on top of everything I've already mentioned, my cycles started getting shorter (from 28 days to 24) 6 months ago.

All my doctors say that I'm fine except I'm not. 

When I say unwanted facial hair, I mean both short black coarse hair like mustache, and curly, longer black hair like beard. Not to mention that I even got some sideburns! I have to wax at least twice a week and even that is sometimes not enough.

I'm at my wits end.

I do not eat processed foods (including breads, pastas, even if they're gluten free, no grains for me, no potatoes, no dairy... no sweets, cakes, chocolate...). I eat fruits and vegetables, and very rarely fish. I eat meat a couple of times a year. 

I have a strong family history of cardio-vascular disease so most meds are off limits for me, including the pill.

i'm desperate. Is tehre anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Masha, well, speaking from experience, all this actually could have to do with perimenopause. Especially since you say your cycles are getting shorter, that's a big red flag. Hormones are funny, it's really hard to get accurate results because hormones go up and down all the time. If you've had all the tests for thyroid, pituitary, etc.. and everything was normal, I think that could be the cause. We are definitely perimeno starting in our 40's, some women even earlier. Do you ever get night sweats

I know you say you don't want to take meds, but maybe you can explore some natural supplements that can help. Jump over to the meno patient forums, you can get all kinds of great advice over there.

• Posted

Thank you so much!!!

You mention pituitary... I'll see with my doctor, but so far they haven't tested it.

I haven't had any night sweats yet.

I'll take a look at meno patient forums. 

• Posted

My first thought was your thyroid but that's probably already been tested. On the thyroid I have found that some labs and Dr believe that a TSH of 5 and below is good. However my endocrinologist and my own body tells me that it needs to be below 2 and you're even pushing it at 3. So I would suggest you ask for what your number was assuming you did have it checked. You mentioned that you had your hormones checked already. But you might try seeing an OBGYN that offers hormone replacement therapy using bioidentical hormones. You are right about the age that perimenopause should be hitting and those bioidentical hormones will make you feel so much better. And I'm only suggesting them because it may help level your hormones out. The doctor will customize the medicine and it will contain estrogen testosterone and progesterone. For me it did me wonders but my situation is different than yours. But it's the OBGYN that I think is most knowledgeable about female hormones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.