Sudden worsening of tinnitus

Posted , 1 user is following.

So I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember but it's been so minimal that I can only hear it in a completely silent room, so it's never been a big deal. Lately I've had more episodes where it gets really loud and then quiet again, but that still hasn't been much of a problem as it clears up within a few seconds. Last week this happened (Exactly 1 week ago) and the ringing just never stopped. I have now had this loud persistent ringing in my left ear and I'm not sure why. I went to the doctor and they said there was so much earwax that they couldn't see anything, so they used a syringe with water to get the extra earwax out but that didn't really do much. They didn't really address the tinnitus much either and so I'm still stuck with the problem and don't have many possible answers. There was definitely enough earwax in there to cause problems (it was really bad) but after having the earwax cleaned out, I'm still having problems. Could there be another problem, inflammation, something else? I'm hoping I'm not stuck with this problem but I feel like there's something causing it since it did happen so suddenly without much apparent cause. I will try to go back to the doctor but I have to see a certain doctor to even get a referral to an ENT and that could take as long as 1 - 2 months. I don't want to wait that long if there's a potential problem that needs to be addressed now. Any thoughts? Should I explore other options to see an ENT sooner? Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT: If the problem was from excessive earwax, is the tinnitus something that may take time to clear up? Should I just be more patient with it?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.