Suddenly always need to pee! Please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

​I noticed a couple of weeks ago i suddenly needed to pee much more often it coincided with me starting sertraline ( anti depressant) but i didnt necessarily think the two were connected. Had a urine test was fine, this week though feels like pressure on my bladder and sometimes i go and not much comes out and its uncomfortable down there a little bit, not helping with sleep. Not drinking any more or less than usual and dont drink alcohol, Any ideas please???

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You need to be very careful about Amitryptiline. I will narrate my own experience to you and you can decide what to. Around eleven years ago, I was given increasing doses of Amitryptiline over a space of one month or so ranging from 10 mg to 75 mg because 10 mg-20 mg did not work and in spite of the fact that I was complaining all along about the side-effects. When I reached 75 mg, my urination and defecation stopped. My bladder was full one day but I could not urinate; it felt like my muscles were paralyzed. In fact, it was so bad on one day that I felt that the depression was better than the drug. I called the doctor immediately and he suggested applying a warm bag of water over the lower abdomen to help urinate. He also indicated that cathetarization might be required. I had to take an enema to relieve myself.

I was a twenty seven year old healthy male, and this drug completely messed up my urinary and excretory system for a brief period of time. I believe some damage persists even to this day. I have urinary retention, frequent urination, pain, bloating and cramping in the lower abdomen. There is definitely a connection between the use of anti-depressants and urino-genital issues although, as usual, doctors and pharmacists will vigorously deny it. Amitryptiline is a first generation dirty drug with several terrible side-effects, and there are many milder and more effective substitutes which the doctor should have known about.

Fortunately, I could void my bladder with great difficulty, but I was traumatized so badly that I stopped the drug immediately after that event, and switched to another doctor who prescribed Mirtazapine which fortunately worked better for me. I also changed my life style considerably and recovered by the beginning of 2006 although the recovery had started by July 2005. I have not taken a pill since that time. Good riddance.

If you expect that a pill alone can pull you out of depression and keep you there permanently you may be expecting way too much. If you are really serious about recovering you need to cut out alcohol, smoking, processed foods and other junk food, eat salmon, green vegetables, avocado, some sea weed, asparagus and other healthful foods, try to jog for around half hour everyday, take cod liver oil for the omega-3 fats, and sleep well. For sleep, you could take 1-2 mg of melatonin, or valerian root, or magnesium. Cherries are rich in melatonin, and you will feel sleepy if you ingest five to six cherries. Eat more if you don't; there are no unpleasant side-effects. Close your eyes and lie absolutely still as you go to sleep. Also, don't try to control any thoughts, but don't make a conscious effort to think either. You will find that sleep will overcome you, and even if it does not, lying still and closing your eyes achieves the purpose of sleep. After all, your body just needs rest.

Also, practice mindfulness. Just be aware of what is going on in your mind - witness it without reacting to it. After all, your depression is just a manifestation of the interplay of neurochemicals in your brain- it is not reality. It is just your perception of reality, and if you are intellectually able to realize this difference without actually doing anything about it you will have won half the battle. If you have trouble doing this, it is again your sick mind causing the "trouble" and ad infinitum. Basically, you are not your brain similat to how you are not your stomach or leg, so do not identify yourself with it. If you had abdominal pain but had good mental health you would treat it as ordinary pain. Why should the brain be any different?

This is what I can think of right now. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I don't think I would go up from 20mg to be honest. I've been on it before so know what to expect. I know a pill can't cure me. Sometimes it just helps me focus and keep symptoms at bay so hoping coming off sertraline doesn't have a detrimental effect. Think doc just treating ibs and sleep as my mood has lifted somewhat. I'm eating a lot better and trying to get fresh air every day. Starting them Monday so see how it goes. All I can do

• Posted

Also, please cut out the coffee if you can, or consume a decaffeinated version if you cannot live without coffee. The caffeine might be interfering with your sleep.

Also, asparagus will increase urinary output and will give you a feeling of having voided completely. Pumpkin seeds will help your urinary function.

Unfortunately, doctors have narrow focus and some of them have plain hubris that impels them to dismiss anything that has not been accepted by mainstream medicine. But it is a fact of life that they do miss seeing many treatments that could help their patients without producing nasty side-effects.

• Posted

It is good that you know what to expect with Amitryptiline. I was alarmed when someone suggested 75 mg. I would not wish 75 mg on my worst enemy. You should come off Sertraline only gradually by slowly tapering the dose once you start feeling better.  Peppermint oil helps IBS. I have a feeling that garlic and ginger would too. And do remember the fish oil. Not eating the wrong things is as important as eating the right things.
    • Posted

What is good or bad food wide. Don't like fish. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.