Suddenly got this BPH problem.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a cystoscopy recently which came up clear. Then had a CT scan which also came up clear (I assume that was to check for cancer cells in other organs and presume the Prostate as well). Then 2 weeks later started getting urine passing problems. This advanced pretty quickly over three days. Dr. put me on Tamsulosin oral. Worked almost straight away but then my eyes started stinging like mad. This may be accentuated by itchy eyes I get when the hay fever season starts.

Anyone know if this settles down or other solution? Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've been on Tamsulosin for a few months. It took me awhile to make the connection but I have several side effects, including worsening allergy problems. stuffy nose, backache and the worst for me is indigestion. I have to eat a bland diet or there will be several hours of suffering. With BHP, there's not a quick, easy solution.

• Posted

I had several side effects at first including jaw pane and dizziness, but after months of taking it, just get tired easily now. 
  • Posted

I had no trouble with tamsulosin. Why did you have cystoscopy and CAT scan? If flow problems started after cystoscopy I'd bet you got an infection or at least a very irritated prostate.

• Posted

Hacker.

It looks like you may have posted this twice.  I mentioned in your other post that if you are taking anti allergy medicine with antihistamines that may cause your trouble urinating.  Search the internet for antihistamines.

Thomas

• Posted

I was treated for BPH since 1990. In 2006 I was prescribed Alpha blockers (40mg a day) which had moderate success. When I sought increase dosage for a slight lessening of effect I was told while they had known since 1995 an increased dosage above 4mg would be needed beyond 2 years no one had bothered to do the research. Therefore a drug, Duodart (Alpha blocker Tamsulosin and  5ARI Dutasteride) was prescribed in 2013 in conjunction with the blocker Prazosin. This equalled double the blocker dose they would not prescribe?? While there was doubt over 5ARIs increasing the risk of Prostate Cancer this was not listed in the “side effects” for this drug and urologists don’t mention this increased risk. In 2015 3+4 Prostate Cancer (PCa) resulted in Open Prostatectomy (RP). I was told to expect several months of incontinence. I am now in my 27th month of it and am NOW told to expect it for life. Post-op complications as well as rashes and infections have accompanied my incontinence and I have NOW learned how little they know about BPH, PCa, their medications and what the full functions of the gland are or what your life is like without it.

Things to consider:

Tamsulosin relaxes the smooth muscle tone at bladder neck. It will slightly improve urination while suffering BPH but what will be the result of years of that relaxing when you try to keep some of it in if PCa emerges?

5ARI trials (see on the internet) show the enormous number of BPH sufferers that progress to PCa even if the drug was not complicit.

My years of incontinence are far worse than the BPH years. Wet and itchy all the time and I never know when my pads will overflow when I sit on someones car seat or lounge.

Doctors and urologists/surgeons are like all the other business today and cannot be trusted to protect patients interests.

Barrie Heslop

• Posted

Couple of errors I couldn't correct. The 40mg in line one should be 4mg and my 27 months of incontinence is now really 33 months. I also didn't mean to send it twice but my effort was on screen then disappeared so I thought it needed a second hit.

• Posted

I was treated for BPH since 1990. In 2006 I was prescribed Alpha blockers (40mg a day) which had moderate success. When I sought increase dosage for a slight lessening of effect I was told while they had known since 1995 an increased dosage above 4mg would be needed beyond 2 years no one had bothered to do the research. Therefore a drug, Duodart (Alpha blocker Tamsulosin and  5ARI Dutasteride) was prescribed in 2013 in conjunction with the blocker Prazosin. This equalled double the blocker dose they would not prescribe?? While there was doubt over 5ARIs increasing the risk of Prostate Cancer this was not listed in the “side effects” for this drug and urologists don’t mention this increased risk. In 2015 3+4 Prostate Cancer (PCa) resulted in Open Prostatectomy (RP). I was told to expect several months of incontinence. I am now in my 27th month of it and am NOW told to expect it for life. Post-op complications as well as rashes and infections have accompanied my incontinence and I have NOW learned how little they know about BPH, PCa, their medications and what the full functions of the gland are or what your life is like without it.

Things to consider:

Tamsulosin relaxes the smooth muscle tone at bladder neck. It will slightly improve urination while suffering BPH but what will be the result of years of that relaxing when you try to keep some of it in if PCa emerges?

5ARI trials (see on the internet) show the enormous number of BPH sufferers that progress to PCa even if the drug was not complicit.

My years of incontinence are far worse than the BPH years. Wet and itchy all the time and I never know when my pads will overflow when I sit on someones car seat or lounge.

Doctors and urologists/surgeons are like all the other business today and cannot be trusted to protect patients interests.

Barrie Heslop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.