Sue61 Terrified of THR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone I'm new to you all and so glad I've joined this group , I'm booked to have THR in 2 weeks I'm terrified and my anxiety is unbearable. I have so many what ifs going round in my head I can't think straight I'm so scared of everything I'm waking up in the middle of the night with so much fear , I know I have no choice I desperately need the Hip replacement well I need both replacing which is so hard to accept to say the least (I'm 61) and feel like my life has passed me by for the last 3 years . please help me overcome my fears I just want my life back and so want to do this . oh and I'm having spinal and sedation which also scares me I would appreciate any support SUE

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

its normal to have fear , we all go thru it. even the dentist my worse fear... . thr surgery is a way to improve your mobility and your quality of life. sometimes we have to get thru the fear to find a treatment for the severe pain you have already suffered. it will all end and once you have your life back you will be glad you did.

• Edited

i had a left THR in April and it has been great. i was in hospital for 1 night only, they don't do day cases any more. i am now 5 months out from the op and walking near normal with no crutches or stick. i have tried and can run but the impact wasn't comfortable. i can go on long walks without pain, swim, surf, cycle, golf, etc. The op wasn't as bad as i thought and you just have to do your exercises before and after the op and make sure to take your painkillers. i can sleep on my operated side and my life is so much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.