Suffer for days after going for a walk

Posted , 7 users are following.

if I go out for a walk on a nice day and I walk a little to far which isn’t far at all first the pain kicks in in my back and my legs feel quite weak. I then after the walk can be in agony for days and also feel tired and ill.  Does anyone know any ideas to help me find a way I can go for walks without ending up suffering afterwards so much?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi i know how u feel there are days when i tired and resting for days. Try doing some leg excercises.
  • Posted

I'm like that everyday the minute I open my eyes maybe get a day or 2 out of a week where pain is abit more bareable but its still there never goes, try to carry on walking and do you take painkillers in the morning before you get up? I do and it helps, I don't take anymore threw the day unless I really have too x

• Posted

Hi Nikki

i take pain killers everyday I need lots which I was in before the fybro as itisnt just fybro that causes my pain.  I have so much normally that when I’m worse there isn’t much more I can take to be honest. Kathleen 

• Posted

I walk 30 minutes every day regardless my body aches or not. I remember 10 years ago, when I got my fibromyalgia diagnosis, I stopped to exercises due to the severe muscles weakness/soreness on my 4 limbs. But the long resting did not make the weakness/soreness go away, instead of muscle wasting. So, I started to do light exercises e.g. changing jogging to walking. Although aching is still with me, I rather like to have strong muscles with pain, than weak (or no) muscles with pain. 
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen, I been asking that question for ages. Don't seemto get anywhere though. If i walk round supermarket to do shopping i can only go to one shop because my legs go all weak and trembly and i go hot, sweaty and feel ill so have to go home and lye down. It's awful. From Josephine.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen. Well unfortunately this world puts a great deal of emphasis on exercise. Going to the Gym, cardio, running etc. The Gym industry is booming because of all the hype. So it is hard to find that balance when we have this condition and not be influenced. Just do what you can Kathleen. I personally think Frances has the right idea. She may be able to walk 30 minutes every day but for someone else, it could be 15 mins or less. The important thing I suppose is to try to maintain our muscle health. I find that walking in the mall is helpful. It is a very long one and I window shop or stop to look in a store. That is exercise as well. I also hang out my wash every week and I am up and down the stairs in the back yard. That too is exercise. I have stairs also in the house and I am up and down many times a day. It hurts and there is weakness in my legs and knees, but I am determined not to give in but to do what movement I can in a day. 
  • Posted

I am the same way when I walk. I have to walk my dog and I feel so guilty because I can’t handle it for more than 25 minutes and then I heard the rest of the day and feel weak and terrible. I have no suggestion how to make it better. Wish I could help 
    • Posted

You mustn’t feel guilty Linda. Boy we sure are good us sufferers, at adding emotional pain to the mix. You do what you can and even 15 to 20 mins is still beneficial Linda. Lovely too that you have your dog. A pet is very therepeutic and that  unconditional love and loyalty is a real blessing. A good soak now and then in an Epsom salts bath can help with your pain Linda and a good old fashioned hot water bottle can also be a comfort. I also find naps to be of benefit to get a bit more energy in a day. x
  • Posted

Hi 

Thankyou for all your replies I’m still suffering today tues after the walk on Saturday. This is the problem how do you get the amount you walk right. I also keep wondering if a walking aid wou”d make it easier to walk around. I tried a walking stick last year but I have a bad shoulder and it made my shoulder worse.  Most of the time I pace myself it’s more when family want to go out with you and they think they have picked a very very easy walk for me and then I end up suffering. It annoys me so much I love to spend time with family on a nice day but the suffering after the event spoils it.  

Kathleen 

• Posted

The hardest thing I think is learning to accept our limitations. When you do sweetie, the family will also have to. All the best to you! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.