Suffer from chronic insomnia major depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone started on 15mgs of Mirtazapine last night great relief for my insomnia managed to get 3hours straight feel quite spaced out and nauseaous but desperate for sleep so will give it a go not sleeping is very bad for you it is only 15mgs

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sara I've been on this 3 months at 15 mg. Does not make me tired at all. 4 hours after taking it I'm still wide awake. How long after taking it does it make you go to sleep.? This pill is doing nothing for me but can't just stop taking it. Because doctor stupidly swapped it for something else. Try not to be on it to long though as the withdrawal from this pill is horrendous. Luckily I found a group on Facebook who tells me everything I need to know about safe withdrawal unlike the doctors who know nothing about coming off this drug safely. That's why I'm in the mess I'm in is down to doctors.

• Posted

Hi Sara

are you taking mirtazapine just for sleep ? 

I have been using it for over a year for depression and now I'm 7wks into withdrawals from it... I'm not a doc but I really wouldn't use it for sleep and getting of this is horrific...

If sleep is your only problem then I would ask your gp for some kind of sleeping pill..

kaz

• Posted

Hi kaz what mg were u on.? Also how did your doctor tell you how to withdraw.
    • Posted

Hi ninjawarrior

I was up to 45mg mirt took of them over night and changed to another anti depressant last yr that didn't work out too good so was put back onto 15 mg mirt back in January, they never helped me all they done was let he have full nights sleep, I suffered depression but never suffered anxiety until I was put on mirt .. my p.doc took me of them 7wks ago today.. she said no withdrawals (what a joke) I knew there was withdrawals as I suffered them when they took me of 45mg...

Im just praying I'm over the worse of them now , anxiety still there but isn't as bad .. I'm just taking one day at a time and hopeing for the best..

But I do seem to be feeling better each day

what dose are you on ?

kaz

• Posted

Hi kaz I'm on 15 mg but it actually wakes me up more when I take it. 4 hours later after taking I'm still wide awake. Ive been off the amitryptyline now 13 weeks but don't want to start withdrawing the mirt to early. That's the thing I'm unsure of when is going to be the right time.

• Posted

Hi ninjawarrior

is the mirtazapine helping you any ? Is it a case of not sleeping when you take or have you side effects from it also?

it never helped me at all tho it did get a full nights sleep while I was taking it..

withdraws of coming of it is horrendous, I wasn't able to taper down from it as doc took me of it ,I'd only 1 15mg tab left so I broke it in half and took 7.5 mg for 2 nights then nothing...

It caused me anxiety for sure as I never suffered from anxiety to I started mirt...

im of it 7 wks today and anxiety is some what less seems to come in waves .

i also use propanalol which I think help just hope I'm over the worse of the withdrawals now but with these hateful mirt just just never know when they can come back or how long they last but I know 1thing for sure I will never take another mirtazapine in my life...

kaz

• Posted

My doctors in Australia refuse to prescribe sleep meds they say they are to addictive

• Posted

I dread to think what you went through when you stopped.kaz. I stopped for 4 days and couldn't take any more so had to reinstate back to 15 mg. Mirtazapine does nothing for me at all but some side affects which I could do without. I'm not going to tell my doctor any negatives as they will stop me from getting a repeat prescription or try putting me on something else. No way is that happening once I'm free from prescribed medication no way will I ever take any again. I will do my own taper very slowly with a decrease of 5% every 4 weeks.

• Posted

You're lucky Sara every doctor I've seen In the UK doesn't recognise withdrawal or addiction off this pill. They are very wrong would like to see them take it then tell us it doesn't.

• Posted

Hi ninijawarrior

It was awful time and still have the off days but I'm getting there.. I'm just heading out to get some shopping done but I will send you a private message later today when I return home.. 

kaz

• Posted

hi sara

docs make make me so cross they refuse to give sleeping aid but yet they give us the hateful mirtazapine whichever causes so many problems.

Have you tried herbal tablets for sleep? I definitely wouldn't take mirtazapine if it was just my sleep that was the problem as I know how bad the side effects were for me and also how hard the withdrawals are trying to get of it .Doc says theyr not addictive, well I would say different because something that is so hard to try and get off and comes with so many withdrawals definitely is addictive in my books...

If there is anything I can help you with just send me a message and I will help you with what information I can

kaz

• Posted

Hi Sara,

I've been on 30mg for almost 4 weeks. I was switched from citalopram as it was causing an increase in my anxiety and insomnia. So far I've started getting about 6 hours of broken sleep...which actually feels like bliss compared to what I was getting before. I've had a few side effects though, feeling like I'm coming down with flu, lower back pain, painful legs. And I don't feel like my depression has improved much at all. I'm due a review with my GP tomorrow. After reading a few of the posts on here I'm worried about continuing on the Mirtazapine to be honest...if I'm feeling this way whilst taking it how bad will it be to withdraw? Let me know how you get on with it, side effects etc!

Karen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.