Suffer with Palpitations - then had an MI

Posted , 1 user is following.

I suffer from Palpitations and afterwards had an MI and had 2 stents fitted and after I was able to go home with the relevant heart medication.

I have been getting a lot of angina pains shortness of breath and also a lot more palpitations I did a tally chart and from 12pm to 12am I counted 53 palpitations which only lasted 1-2 seconds everytime.

Then early this morning I suffered with a palpitation which scared me because it was different to all the previous ones because when it happened it slightly hurt my chest and the feeling was different.

Also later on the afternoon I had another which lasted for at least 15 mins but only felt it mainly through my throat.

Should I get further tests or could this be Nothing to worrie about?.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think if you're getting persistent angina pains, particularly those which are not relieved by a GTN spray then you should get checked out by a doctor.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Hi Tarun thanks for the response but what about the palpitations? thanks
  • Posted

I've got two stents, when I was still having problems the Consultant increased my beta-blockers and put me on isosorbide mononitrate, this hit the spot, yeah it's good cheesygrin

As for the sharp chest twinges, that's vasospasm (spasms in the coronary arteries), you can feel the stents, they're sharp at first. It should die down over months smile

If you had the stents put in fairly recently then you should get an appointment in the post soon for a check-up, your GP can hurry it along if need be wink

What brand of GTN have you got question Some brands are pathetic you know rolleyes

Take care smile

• Posted

I would echo what House says - they could be related to angina or could just be part of the post-op recovery process. Either way I think the cardiologist would be the best person to establish the cause.
  • Posted

seen the doctor today she told me the palpitations are ectopic and she has put my beta -blocker up from 2.5mg to 5mg to see if this helps ...thanks for all the advice i will keep you informed smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.