Suffered in the past, can it come back?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered depression in the past. I've not been on medication for a year and a bit now but recently I've had these negative thoughts and the usual signs of depression but not all at once. Does anyone know if you can get bouts of it again but not feel it's as bad as before? Is it normal to feel worried you might end up back in that sad place.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

For me it definitely comes in waves. I always find it's best to nip it in the bud before it escalates. Don't panic yourself though, but maybe just take care of yourself and try to employ any cbt techniques you may learnt in the past, as well as going back to see your gp and letting them know how you're feeling. You know yourself better than anyone else!

I hope you manage to overcome these negative thoughts and keep us updated on how you're doing smile

• Posted

Hello yes I can happen I have been suffering with this for many years now about 2 years ago i seemed to be ok and last November I have been having the worsed few months with anxity and depression I am on meds called citpolpram so I no how you are feeling x
  • Posted

Yes it can definitely come back.  The more times you have it the more likely it is to come back unfortunately. 

In my case it is not always so bad, but it varies each time.  I just live knowing I will get bouts, and yes, it is very normal to feel worried you might end up back in that sad place.

• Posted

Yes, sadly it can definitely come back.  BUT the good news is that each time you learn a bit more about yourself and how it happens to you.  Eventually you ca n recognise you might be 'going there again' before you get bad symptoms, then you can try techniques you learnt before and kind of ward it off.  Tablets are just a small part of treatment, there;s Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Yoga, meditation, relaxation, ways to integrate negative life events etc.  Hopefully if you think about what's happened recently in your life you can see if that triggered it. Though sometimes it can come out of the blue.  Also I wish you well and you might be one of those people who only got it bad the once and this time wont be as bad and will be the last time.cool
  • Posted

Hi g

Unfortunately yes

All it takes depending on the person / circumstances is a certain event and that

Will trigger the depression / anxiety

The part about it not being so severe as before ( if this makes sense ) is that it may be because you've had it in the past and you've learned to deal with it you already know what is happening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.