Suffered with cystitis for over 35 years..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I'm new to this group. I'm sat in the loo at 5am with a pint of water (3rd one) trying to flush my bladder a bit to ease the pain. I had the warning signs yesterday but knew there was nothing I can do to stop it.... I'm waiting for 8am to call the doctors in the hope I can get an appointment this morning.. I know I need antibiotics, I know that this will not go away with over counter meds, and I know that the doctors surgery will insist I do a urine test that will not show anything yet. Why an infection doesn't show up in my urine for 2 or 3 days when I clearly have cystitis I do not know but what I know for sure is the debate I will have to get antibiotics Now... Not in 2 days time when my urine test shows positive.... Meanwhile I have to cancel all plans for the next few days as I can't move far from the loo and feel crap anyway... Any advise welcome

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ouch! I feel for you! The problem is that the lab test looks for the number of bacteria in the sample, not for a specific infection.  Sometimes it takes a while for the numbers to build up enough to be classed as infection.   By drinking lots of water (the right thing to do if coyrse) you will have diluted the sample a little.  A good GP should put you on antibiotics, if you have all the symptoms of infection, whilst waiting for the results to come back because as you say, time is of the essence.  You obviously suffer from UTIs and the GP should know the pattern with regard to your urine samples and testing etc. I suggest you politely but assertively ask to get started on some antibiotics as your history shows that you’ll need them (they can always swap them to another type after testing, if they’re not the correct ones) In the meantime keep drinking, take some painkillers and rest.  There is just one thing to be aware of - if your samples come back with signs of inflammation only, you may have a different bladder condition, not an infection, in which case anti biotics won’t work.  If you are suffering a case of uncomplicated cystitis which is proved by an (eventual!) positive test, then you should get treatment today - doctors don’t have to wait for the lab results before prescribing.  UTIs do qualify as ‘urgent’ so you should get an appointment today.  If you can’t, and you don’t have a nearby walk-in surgery, it may be that a pharmacist could give you some under the ‘pharmacy first’ arrangement if you explain the you can’t get a GP appointment- but I’m not 100% sure.  Hope you get some help today as it’s a miserable condition!  
    • Posted

Hiya , well I got an appointment this morning and no Hassel I got the antibiotics...however it's made me think that over the years no doctors have suggested I have further tests etc ...thanks for your advice X

• Posted

Hi

Have you ever tried Azo? Someone on here recommended it and for me it's a miracle!

It's on Amazon but be careful as it can mask the signs of an infection but it will help with the bladder pain

K

• Posted

Hi, has anyone suggested you could have Interstial Cystitis? Medics seem to ignore this and prescribe Antibiotics which do nothing for IC. I had problems for ages before I sussed out that it was IC. I know what you are going through as the pain is terrible and no one seems to realise what you are putting up with.

Then 7 years ago I started taking Pukka Aloe Vera and Serrapeptase and have been free from pain since (NO I am not an Agent for these products ha ha)

Try taking Serrapeptase tablets for inflammation - wonderful to clear up bladder inflammation (whether its cystitis or any other problem). When I had a flare up I took 2 tablets every 2 hours during the day.

Pukka Aloe Vera tablets are very good but not the ordinary Aloe Vera - must be freeze dried and only the inner leaves used - Pukka are perfect. If you buy them from USA they cost over 100$ but they are available online from Naturisimo for about 15 pounds a bottle with free postage.

You must stop taking anything with Cranberry in and never use Green Tea proucts as they irritate the bladder - these are ok for ordinary cystitis.

Good Luck

Jean  

• Posted

Hi, your right ....I could have that...no doctors have looked into it X
  • Posted

Hello I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain I know the feeling. I have IC and not sure if you could have it or if you have a regular infection. Someone on this forum recommended I try D Mannose in powder form. I add it to a glass of water and drink it every morning now. I started taking it when I felt a bad flare coming on (flares feel like a uti or worse with no sign of bacteria so antibiotics cant help). Since I have been taking it I feel tremendously better not perfect but better. D Mannose is also good for infections so it could be worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.