Suffering after glandular fever

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m new here and just want thoughts from anyone else that has had it and to see if there could be a link to a few anomalies in my health now.

Brief history -I had glandular fever in the summer of 2015... took a long time for it to show on tests... essentially after a month or so of being unwell and testing negative I was sent to A and E with severe tonsillitis - several days in to my hospital stay I eventually got the positive glandular fever result on a blood test and stayed in there for a week.

Since then I have had all the usual fatigue and my glands flare up regularly.

I’ve now had an issue with low ferritin levels for over 6 months despite regularly check ups and strong iron supplements and wondered if anyone else has found this?

Also recently had a bit of pain under my left rib which is on and off and am having tests...to try and find out what it is.

Also feel like my brain isn’t what it was and almost foggy sometimes when I’m tired.

I just generally have felt so ‘unwell’ for so long can’t remember what it’s like to have energy!

I guess it’s normal but want to know if anyone else has similar issues and how long they go on for?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi F,

gosh, we're talking over two years?! This doesn't make me feel very confident in my own recovery, seeing as I'm still struggling at one year.

I understand when you say you have no energy and just feel 'unwell' . I personally haven't had rib pain though.

i am so sick of just feeling sick that I feel dreadfully sorry that you are still suffering after this amount of time.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply.  I have good times and that makes me realise when I’ve been feeling a bit ‘meh’ I suppose.

I did have it quite severely and was very poorly when I was in hospital so my gp did say to me that I may find it takes a while to get over so hopefully for you it won’t be as bad!

• Posted

Hi F,

i saw an endocrinologist who said this would go but could be another 6 months to a year. But at least it will go and I'm sure, eventually it will go. Although sometimes, it's hard to believe...Do you feel like you are making slow progress?!

Caroline.

• Posted

It’s certainky not quick to get over, I’d say I felt much better after 4-6 months but I do get my glands flare up every 4-6 weeks and still suffer from the tiredness.  

The few health issues I have may be unrelated but it just makes me wonder. X 

• Posted

Hey F-a,

So sorry to hear about this terrible time you've had with glandular fever. I know that Caroline (40withgf) and myself and others on the forum here can really empathise with that having been through a tough time.

So frustrating that you're still having these problems after such a long time, it definitely still can be connected to the glandular fever I think as people just seem to react differently from it. The pain under the ribs could be gland pain from the spleen area, in keeping with one of the symptoms they say of glandular fever, just really showing your immune system is fighting infection.

Just wanted to reassure that I do believe you will still make a full recovery, even though it's been such a long time. You must be so weary and tired, want you to know I'm thinking about you and there still is hope today. I remember after having the virus after a year I was only just starting to feel a bit better, and the second year was better, but even in years after that you looked back at the end and said well actually you've made more progress each year than before. Just hoping what you've going through just now can be one of these mini-relapses that can happen, that pass over quickly and don't cause the same kind of harm as when first infected (it definitely can't harm you that way again).

Sounds like you're doing the right thing taking vitamins to help with the iron, really hope the doc can help give an explanation for things. Definitely worth taking some other vitamins and herbs too if not already doing so, a good strong multi-vitamin per day really helped me, B complex is great for the brain fog and nervous system, and extra Vitamin C and Vitamin D also great, as well as immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng or echinicea.

But most important F-a just look after yourself, make sure you get rest when you need it and remember that you ARE going to recover, 2018 is your year or recovery I truly believe that thanks to God's healing.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I am just fed up with it now despite feeling that I have been trying to look after myself.  

Glands have flared up several times over the last couple of weeks (quite painfully for a few days) but I think it’s because there are a lot of colds and bugs around (which I have also had) so can understand why they would.  

I am waiting for blood works to be done at the end of the month so hopefully they may be able to shed some light on things and make me feel a bit better x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.