Suffering extreme depression on Tegretol for TN

Posted , 3 users are following.

Suffering extreme depression on Tegretol for TN. The last discussion was closed. Anyone have this experience? Does it go away? Have only been at full dose (400 mg. daily) for a week, now. 2 100 mg. bid, that is. Also, of course, extremely sedated. Does this also go away, and about how long does it take? I feel as though I cannot function this way; but on the other hand, this dosage does control the TN pain. Thx.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Linette, glad you asked, because I can share a little hope. I experienced very similar symptoms taking Tegretol for my TN treatment. Although the pain was controlled, it wasn't worth it, as I was non-functional. Ask your doc about Trileptal (similar to Tegretol but not as severe side effects, and cheaper to boot). I also was able to have the Cyberknife treatment, which more or less eliminated the pain.

Wishing you the best! Here for you!

• Posted

Hi, Bean,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I plan to ask about Trileptal... but suddenly, I feel pretty well on the Tegretol, too. The side effects seem to wax and wane now, and the pain is controlled. So, we'll see. If it gets worse, it's nice to know about the surgery, too.

So I don't get it; I was a mess yesterday, and now, OK. I have only been on full dosage for a week; hoping my body just needs to get used to it.

Linette

• Posted

Good the hear the 400 mg is helping with the pain. I am on 600mg with similar depression and vertigo but am still hoping for a remission from TN. MY family and faith plus an amazing wife help to keep me going.

Fortunately I am retired.

Hang in there and keep seeking help from other professionals. I now go to the local pain clinic for better advice from their neurologist.

HOPEFULLY you will have fewer bad days and get used to the meds.

I have left sided TN for 2 years.

Regards

Doug

• Posted

Hi, Doug... sorry for delay; I had to take care of something last night, and then suffered yet ANOTHER ATTACK! My entire jaw hurts, but yes, the Tegretol is a miracle drug; I am feeling more severe pressure than outright pain. I thought all my pain had gone away... then, this! I also have a broken tooth in my lower jaw (which I believe is exacerbating everything), but they don't want to take it out just yet, as they want to get this TN under control-- and it's not infected.Sometimes the pain seems to originate from there, and other times, from my upper jaw. It's very strange.

So I was going to lower the dose... but now, with this recent attack, I think not. I'll just have to suffer thru. Mine is on my right side, and yes, I am retired, too.

BTW, does anyone know why they say to take Tegretol w/ food? I imagine it's to guard against stomach upset, but I've taken it w/o food, and it seems to work just fine. How important is this? I normally can't get food into myself at first (often in too much pain to eat, or it's when I first get up and haven't had time to prepare it, yet)... does this affect the way the drug works? So it's more like I take the capsules, then there is a 20 min. delay until I eat. Does this hurt anything? Thx.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.