Suffering from constant severe nasal congestion and loss of smell, even after sinus surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 24 years old and have been suffering from severe nasal congestion for many years now. Loss of smell, breathing through mouth, snoring, intense headaches are some of the symptoms I've been experiencing.

Last year, I went to go see an ENT to figure out what was wrong. Prior to this, I could not even blow my nose because my nasal passages were so blocked. I ended up getting a balloon sinuplasty and turbinate reduction. During the balloon sinuplasty, the doctor said she had never seen so much mucus come out of anyone before. She also mentioned that I have a deviated septum but that it wasn't too severe, so we left it alone.

I got the procedures done in May 2018 and I did notice a difference in my breathing soon after, and finally I was able to blow my nose, but it did not feel like a significant improvement. It has been about a year and 4 months since then, and I am experiencing extreme nasal congestion again. I have still been breathing through my mouth, getting frequent headaches, even pseudoephedrine and allergy/sinus medicines do not help at all.

Has anyone experienced something similar or know what the problem could be? I feel like the surgery didn't really help, now that I look back.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Have you ever seen a gastroenterologist? It could be a result of GERD or silent reflux. Do some research and see if your symptoms align!

Something like 80% of people who have GERD don't experience GERD like symptoms (heartburn, etc). Instead they experience mucus, post nasal drip, congestion, and many other symptoms.

I am also 24 years old and I experience this first hand!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.