Suffering from multiple diverticulae since 4-5 months.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had the problem of diarrhea and constipation i.e. sometimes diarrhea sometimes constipation. This problem started from April and in may i went to doctor, he gave me a dose of antibiotics for 7 days and again for another 7 days as my problem was not solved then he advised me to go for sonography and stool test. After seeing reports, he gave me another dose for 5-7 days but then also problem existed and then he advised me to visit a gastroentrologist. I had to undergo colonoscopy and i was diagnosed having multiple diverticulae in colon. Doctor gave me 1 month's medicines but it also didn't solve my problem so he again gave me 15 days' medicines. After that 70-80% of problem was solved but now again I am having problem of diarrhea and i always feel like now i will have to go for stool. What should i do now??

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Sounds a lot like what I went through over the last 3 months. You have to talk with ur gastroenterologist. You need someone who understands the disease, as it can manifest itself in many ways. I’ve been at it for over 25 years and most of my problems over that time come to find out was related to DD. For example my lower left back pain has always been DD, and the NSAIDs they gave me made it worse come to find out. I’ve had the same bowel issues as you going from one extreme to the other. They always said I had IBS with complications of DD. But honestly I think it’s always been DD. I had a seasoned surgeon that specialized in DD tell me that all me related problems were due to DD. Unfortunately I no longer have access to his knowledge however there is a lot of great research out there when you start digging. 
  • Posted

Hi

That's an enormous amount of antibiotics in a short period of time.  I'm not a medical person, but I've read on this forum that the antibiotics for diverticulitis not only wipe out the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria.  Or did you not have actual diverticulitis (ie pain, cramps, fever, chills, inflammation, infection), just evidence of diverticula?  Or did anyone ever talk to you about IBS as the symptoms are very similar?  It is possible to have both.

I wonder if you need to get good bacteria back into your gut through probiotics, be very careful what you eat and keep a food diary to see if certain foods are triggering a reaction.  You might like to research the FODMAP diet or read the post in this Forum - Divi Diners.  I've had to cut out certain foods from my diet, as have others, but we all differ about what we can tolerate.  Good luck.

• Posted

Actually they found presence of multiple diverticulae at time of colonoscopy. And this time doctor hasn't given me any antibiotics and told me to have more fruits and green leafy vegetables.

• Posted

The absolute classic symptom of Diverticulitis is pain, usually low left side, with fever chills, diarhoea, constipation, passing blood etc.  If there was no pain, that means you have Diverticulosis, which means multiple diverticula, a condition common to over half the population over 50!  A real nuisance that the terms are so similar!! For most people with this there are no symptoms.  Suggest you read the paper on this site under Related Information which explains what all the terms mean, and how to treat each.

It is a condition for life and in the UK the recommended treatment is a diet high is soluble fibre, hence the fruit and vegetables.  After I was diagnosed I was prescribed a stool softener and bulker, Fybogel which I have taken daily for 16 years.  It can make you "go" more often, but keeping the colon regularly emptied is very important. In all that time I had just 3 flares in 15 years, but a further 3 this last year. 

As you have found doctors seem to know very little about the condition and I even wonder if you have actually got a full diagnosis, which explains all your bowel symptoms.  Yes you have diverticula, but is something else going on as well?  But I think diet helps all the conditions - IBS, Coeliac, Crohns, Colitis.  I hope you get answers.

• Posted

Hi Felinia

Finding what it is that upset me isn't easy is it.

After having a flexible Sigmoidoscopy they found some diverticula.

Have been doing well,until today, just a trip to the loo too often, no pain,I feel fine guess something I had didn't like me.

But how do you find what it was 😕 mango butternut squash parsnips,broccoli,avocado white wine Grrrrrrr Had them before so this isn't easy,as I don't get constipation, good BM this morning, then bits all afternoon.

So not easy to work this out.

• Posted

But actually I am not able to do regular work due to this problem. I always feel like i will have to go to washroom for stool. Whenever I go, I never feel like now its okay I am relaxed.
    • Posted

I actually have a motion 3 - 6+ times a day but I've just got used to that - it's how it is for me.  I take precautions - antiseptic wipes and spare underwear with me, just in case - but I then carry on as normal.  But I suppose for you it will depend on your access to washrooms - I was office based so it wasn't a problem.  Also I wee 18+ times a day so I'm up and down all the time, day and night.  Lots of people on this Forum have similar problems, found it totally disruptive at first, but learned to cope.  But it did take months.

• Posted

I would try each suspect food by itself with only things you know are OK.  But prime suspect is broccoli.  It may be different for you but I find problematic food reacts with me about 8 hours after eating.  Just a thought though - it's easy to always suspect diverticulitis, but sometimes a tummy upset is just a normal tummy upset.

• Posted

Thank you Felinia.

Broccoli in the past wasn't the best for me,so think that is one to watch.

Good point, I didn't even think it could be a normal tummy upset.

• Posted

I agree with falinia antibiotics kill everything. I take fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic tablet everyday. I have been told I have DD multiple but it's IBS that gives me more problems. I am having problems at the moment due to my husband going in for a triple bypass on Wednesday. But I deal with it now I don't let it get me down   I used to go to DRS for antibiotics every time I had a pain but I try to stay of them now. Good luck 

• Posted

Thankyou  so much. The hospital phoned yesterday to cancel his surgery I told them this was the second time I put off have my hips replaced so I could take care of him. Within 5 minutes of the phone call she phoned back saying that they might be a bed available so to phone the ward today at 11am. I will put it on the forum what they say x
    • Posted

That's great,horrible when you get your heads ready,well as ready as you can be ,for them to say maybe it isn't going to happen.

So sending you calming thoughts. xx

• Posted

I have just left him on the ward to settle in should be out of theatre about 6 pm tomorrow. Sue 
    • Posted

Try and keep busy tomorrow and hope you sleep well tonight. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.