Suffering from Stomach and back pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Diverticular disease 6 years ago and have seemed pretty free from aches and pains from them.

At the end of 2015 I had stomach pains and pains low down in my left hand side. These miraculously disappeared but have come back with a vengeance. They are there now all the time and radiate into my back up to my ribs on the left side. If I sleep on my left side I wake in a lot of pain.

I had a Colonoscopy which didn't show anything abnormal, and now I am waiting for a Sigmoidoscopy.

My GP thinks it my Divericular disease and has prescribed Paracetamol (no good) and Mebeverine.

Does anyone have the same symptoms with DD ? and any ideas on how to help myself, diet etc.

thanks for reading

Seaboot.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ask please:

Sigmoid is a part of the colon, that is inspected during a whole colonoscopy.

It's the other way round. If you only had a sigmoidoscopy, you have not all of the colon covered, but if you had a colonoscopy, you should have had your sigmoid inspected already.

???

• Posted

i was thinking the same as sanya - sig normally done before colonoscopy - confused???
    • Posted

Oops, sorry I had an endoscopy (down the throat) and have now found I'm going for an ultra sound scan and also have an appointment at the Gastroentrology department next month to see someone.

Does that sound like the right order of things to happen ?

• Posted

question You had no sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy so far? Diverticulosis - that might flare into diverticulitis-  was diagnosed by other imaging then?

Yes, I think, you have the right order with ultrasound and gastroenterologist. They should know what to do.

Best of luck!!

• Posted

Hi Seaboots, now totally confused!! what have you already had done? & what are you waiting to have? The best procedures to look at your colon are sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy(more thorough), what are they going to ultrasound? they don't usually ultrasound the colon??? sorry for all the questions, just need info to see if i can offer any helpful comments to you. x

• Posted

Hey please keep us posted....i have very similar symptoms i would love to know what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.