suffering from what i thought was anxiety!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So ive been feeling pretty bad for around a year.. pinned this down to extra stress as ive always suffered from mild anxiety ... this years been pretty bad.. tremors, body vibration, unable to focus vision , double vision and dry eyes.. also short of breath like i cant breathe .. constantly fidgeting weak muscles numb tingleing sensations all over my body real bad vertigo cold hands and feet... so yeah now that ive actually just wrote them down im realising thats alot of symptoms!! All which i thought i was causing myself because of anxiety.. you know when you get told loads of times that your fine its all in your head and ur gp just dismisses you to the point where your in a an e clinging to the fact that this cant possibly be all in my head.. how can i be so forgetfull confused and shaky when i dont feel anxious?? Well i persisted and luckily got a great dr who wrote to my gp and asked he do some bloods... today i found out im b12 deficient and that causes all my symptoms above even causes anxiety!! Finally .. my post is really just trust your gut and listen to your body.. anxiety is a crazy thing..

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

That's what scares me I believe that there is something wrong with my heart but not one doctor I have seen believes it's heart related. I've had basic test done as in full blood count cholesterol chest blood pressure ecg and chest xray and they say they can't find anything so what the he'll.do I do
    • Posted

Thing is when i first started with anxiety i thought i had a heart problem.. constantly fast even when resting. Had a heart moniter attaxhed for 24 hours they found skipped beats which is normal and normal heart rythym just faster than your standard beats. No im talking my resting beats is 90/100. When im walking or jogging. Its like 185.. for me thats normal but when it started happening it wasnt normal for me

I thonk anxiety grows witb you as you grow.. i still have high blood pressure and im fine.. only 29 ASWELL. Not fat dont smoke rarely drink.. you see its because that was one of my first symptoms it stuck with me and for years i thought i had a dodgy ticker.. soon as i thought f*** it.. it left my head ( mot completley) still get skipped beats but ive fou.d out these can be from b12 deficiency. I think symptoms evolve with anxiety.. its more of what triggers your worry you will focus on.like if i said to you.. you have a lump on your neck and it 'might' be cancer.. you will automatically think about that lump and think the worse make the symptoms of this non existing lump happen and turn your attention off your heart.. thats what happened to me.. so personally i think you are fine.. they tend to catch the big things like bad hearts ..mines just anemia.. dont worry.im not worrying about my heart and mines prob in worse shape than yours.

• Posted

Are they only running the same standard tests each time?  Go to an endocrinologist. And request them to check your b12, magnesium and vitamin d levels. You cant see the same doc over and over.other things can eefect the heart well. Medications, foods, vitamin deficiencies. You will unfortunately have to do all the leg work yourself them request the tets.
  • Posted

Your doctor didn't do a blood test straight away?...
    • Posted

Yes at first when i had high blood pressure he did fasting bloods around 3 years ago.. but like i said i recently this past year have been getting the neuro symptoms. But he just said stress and anxiety... like they do.. i feel gps dont take you seriously once they know you suffer with anxiety.
    • Posted

You need a new GP if these were new symptoms he should have done bloods straight away.
  • Posted

Me too. Ive been taking b12 shots for six years. Also have other health ailments but panic attacks are different. Yes a lot of symproms are a defiecency but to a point. Im saying this because it was explained to me. I do have health issues and i do have anxiety. The two are annoying and at times i have no clue which is which but im learning. I also have a mitro valve prolapse but that i learned doesnt involve the mind. Its a host of symptoms that come and go. Anxiety is different. I cant explain it but the mind starts it and i get overly worried about something and it begins. Its not like the deficency or the health ailments. Stay on top of the b12 though it caused some real health issues because there was a shortage for about nine months and it effected one of my eyes. Some of your symptoms will go away as the weeks go on and as you get regular shots but you still will get anxiety at times. Also be sure vitamin d levels are strong that really causes a lot of issues and people who get depressed really need their levels up and i dont think they realize how vital nutrients are in keeping the mind and body strong. Anyway i was ambivilant to write this because you would feel you are cured but then all of a sudden it would happen again and youd be really upset so i thought it was best to just let you know. But yes on the muscles and tingling and will absolutely help head issues and ear issues. You want those numbers easily between 400-600. And absokutely vitamin d suppliments. Have them check magnesium levels as well on your next visit. Usually more then one deficency occers and you take ppis talk to your doctor how to get off of them. I weaned off the pois as they cause b12 absorption problems and calcium issues as well. Good luck and glad at least now you will get rid of a few of the symptoms you moted. And you will feel an increased amount of energy for sure.
    • Posted

Hi my levels are at 133.. sorry i didnt understand what i should be weand off ppis??? And also you mentioned eye problems? What was they as im having trouble with my eyes .. what were your numbers of b12 when you found out you was deficient? I think im starting weekly shots for 5 weeks tomorrow. Will i feel a benefit srraight away? And what where your symptoms of b12 deficiency? Thanks for writing.
    • Posted

very low levels. Five weeks wont be enough. They sell sub lingual b12 you most likely will need it forever. Demand your levels are checked regularly. Yes my eyes got effected as they were busy dismissing some symptoms. My eye has Optic nerve pallor. No one tells me anxiety anymore but diagnoses are not comforting either. And docs cant fix a lot of stuff. They are just humans and science isnt exact and many areas do not have cures. But vitamin deficiency they can handle..some cant due to lack of education. If you can locate an integrated md that would help you out, but its expensive.my b12 deficiencies began when i was on acid reducers, or ppis.muscle stuff, burning, nuero stuff. I saw an integrated doc and at first he had me in a candida diet, then gave me a b12 shot and having no clue my brain fog felt better and thats when we both knew to check blood. And i have been getting shots since.ik when the burning sensatiins start or funny headaches i need b12. It did cause problems. Vitamin d is vital too. Doctors seriously need to stop throwing anxiety pills around and start doing bloodwork a lot more. But they have to be educated on the topic. Integrated md is the best choice on medical supervision as they work on the whole body and arent as rushed. Just expensive. You will feel better soon, a couple of weeks but five tiny weeks is no way enough. Your levels will drop again. Now they say my anxiety is from my health ailments and i need to accept them. Go figure. 
    • Posted

Make an appointment with an opthamologist immediately sarah. Tell them about your eyes and what symptoms you have they will hands down have you seen immediately. 
  • Posted

Hey did you experience dizzy spells as well ?
    • Posted

I am sorry your going through that. I have dizziness all day everyday and have had an MRI done and it was normal, also went to an ENT doctor and nothing wrong with my ears so anxiety is the only thing I can diagnose myself with. The last time I had blood work done was a year ago. So how often did you have dizziness ?
    • Posted

Dizziness from anxiety is usually caused by poor breathing habits, if you're overweight then it'll be worse. Teach yourself to breathe through your nose and I promise you your symptoms will lessen and lessen and eventually go. I couldn't walk from my car to the cash point without going dizzy cause I was panicking and breathing through my mouth. I'd get chest pains burp a hell of a lot so much my doctor thought I had GERD. I taught myself some breathing techniques also look at yoga. If your symptoms are anxiety related this will fix it.

Good luck.

• Posted

You seem to have a good understanding of your inner self and how anxiety affects you (or dosen't). The challenge is what people with known anxiety issues actually come up with a physical issue, it is invalidated by the practitonner who's become used to pinning complaints to anxiety. This is why a relationship of trust and mutual respect is extremely imortant. The physical effects of anxiety are extremely uncomfortable, but aren't dangerous. The fact that you could distinguish and identify the symptoms and judge whether or not they were correllated to your anxiety could have, in and of itself, generated anxiety. You are strong and seem to have conquered the fear of fear.
    • Posted

I still get scared.. just realised that with the heart symptoms thats ive had for 11 years aint killed me yet so im assuming im a stress head and the doc is right. Haha. But i do panick when i have a new symptom.. my eyes worry me .i see rainbow halos around lights and my eye pressure is high end of normal.they thought glaucoma but it turns out dry eye can cause this! And nerve damage .. and b12 is linked to this.
    • Posted

I always like to think of it as a "hightened survival instinct". Fear is a normal and useful emotion. It just needn't take over your life. Try to find things in which you take pleasure and immerse yourself in them every now and then. Think of aaaaaaaaall the times you've been afraid and how many times something was really the matter? Not many I'm guessing. It's always useful to try to think your way out of anxiety (easier said than done). Also, everyone always has symptoms of something (pain here or there, occasionnal dizziness, etc..). People with anxiety are just more tuned into there bodies because there monitoring/radar never turns off so notice them more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.