Suffering! Perimenopause/mid cycle I need help!!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, my name is Jenn and I am 49 years old.  Went to Gyno two weeks ago and all is good.  My doc said I am in Perimenopause.  What I have noticed the past 6 months or so is when I am mid cycle..like two weeks before my next period, I am riddled with anxiety.  The palpitations, hot flashes, feelings of dread and fear.  Increase in urinating, I wake up sweaty and racing heart.  I feel as though I could cry at every little thing.  I also have IBS flare up around now and get crampy.  I also think it has to do with ovulation.  I just really need some help, I am having a terrible day today.  Any advice is welcome I feel very alone. =((

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Peri has definitely hiked up my anxieties to the point that I was in the emergency room 3 times In one month and had to be sedated! I finally was prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg and all of those feelings are gone. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi

You have just wrote out my diary!!! It's the anxiety for me which is the most difficult and unfortunately for me it's opted for a health anxiety which is a nightmare especially when I have different symptoms going on due to peri. Those horrible days around ovulation make me think about every worst case scenario.

• Posted

I too tend to suffer a lot very close to my period. It feels as if I am possessed by an ewel. I get very angry, snappy. Argue with my husband a lot. Just want to be rude and hurt people's feelings around me as I am hurting myself. Then I have a big breakdown and can't stop crying in a big way. I just cannot control Al of this happening to me.... very sad. sad
    • Posted

The feeling of not being able to control any of it is the scariest part in many ways.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer, you are not alone.  The anxiety, fear, and doom are the worst.  You mentioned having IBS and I have Crohn's disease, which always gets worse during my period, but of course can flare up whenever the anxiety gets out of control.  I cry a lot, too.  I'm sorry that you're having a terrible day, please do reach out here so we can help!  Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you for all your thoughtful and helpful advice.  I keep taking my pulse and counting I am spiraling into a frenzy.  I had a EKG last year and it was normal, cardiologist said he felt it was anxiety.  But, how do I know I am not sick or have heart disease.  I am very scared of how my body is acting during this time .
    • Posted

My first peri-related visit to a doctor was to a GP almost two years ago.  I'd been having constant panic attacks for a couple of days.  They did an EKG that was normal, discussed other symptoms I had, and told me it was peri.  Like you, I get scared of how my body, and especially my mind, feel so out of sorts.
    • Posted

If it was just the body and not mind or moods affected it would be more bearable. But it's coming at us in every which way for so long a period of time that makes it hell on earth. I always thought I was strong but this peri had really knocked me down.
    • Posted

Exactly - and when I made that visit to the GP about the panic attacks, I dreaded the thought that it could get worse, but it has!  I keep saying that someone has stolen me from myself.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer im 57 and my periods finished when I was 52 but im suffering exactly the same as you and I'm post menapausel.
    • Posted

Isn't this awful that we women have to suffer all of this in this day and age when we are able to cure cancer, come up with stem cell therapies, treat impotence etc. 
  • Posted

It all sucks so bad. I am so grateful for this group. It is so bad sometimes I can't wait to take my Ambian and go to blessed sleep. I don't think I can take this much longer.
    • Posted

I know and on top of all of it, we still have to work and take care of our families.  It's so overwhelming.  But how do you not let your imagination run away with you and think your dying?
  • Posted

I can sympathize with you so much. Just went to the ER this morning with the worst panic attack that would not let up. I am mid cycle as well. They gave me some anti anxiety meds and let me rest before the nurse came in and was so kind to let me know, she went through the same thing earlier in her life and she knew exactly what I felt like.

I am already on Lexapro AD and it isn't doing squat mid cycle to curb this nasty anxiety and internal shaking. Yesterday, the doom and gloom depression hit and I felt so low. Now today, the sheer panic that hit almost caused me to blackout so my mom took me to the ER. There is nothing they could do but give me a sedative. What a way to live! I have a 4 year old I need to raise and can't be sedated for the next 10 years. I just wanted you to know, you aren't alone at all with this. Im getting off the Lexapro and going to ask if there is something else I can take. Hugs, I know how bad things can be.

• Posted

Yes, this is the scariest part, not being able to control any of it, do what we need to do, be who we need to be... and there isn't a way to be sedated for a long time because we need to live our lives.  It may sound strange, but on the day when I had my surgery almost 4 weeks ago, I was thinking that day in the hospital, and thought for weeks leading up to it, what a gigantic relief it would be that day to let other people care for me, to be in their hands and let them take away some of my worries that day.  While they were wheeling me down the hall to the operating room, I felt absolutely peaceful, just thinking, this is out of my hands, I get to go to sleep, and the next couple of hours are not my problem.  Post-op reality has been a struggle, trying to move on and deal with life.  Does that sound weird?
    • Posted

Oh Elizabeth, you are absolutely right. It was nice to be cared for and knocked out for those hours. It was a relief (until I woke) The post op side has been so hard, not only dealing with recovery, but the peri still rages on without a break. I feel so much compassion for all of us here that are suffering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.