Suffering serious anxiety around my teeth

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is the next thing on the long list of other things I worry about is my teeth. I'll admit I've neglected my teeth in the past, something I've come to regret. But I went to the dentist on last Thursday (another fear, yay). and she said I have poor oral hygenine and that my gums are inflamed, but she didn't diagnose me with anything. I took it all on board but it caused me near instant anxiety around my teeth and now I'm scared that I'm going to lose my teeth. So I have to keep checking myself for signs of gum disease.

I've somehow developed it into a part of my OCD and it's starting to take over my life as I'm stuck in an endless cycle of brushing, flossing googling about oral health and repeat. I'm literally terrified!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As long as you use dental tape have a good brushing regime and don't get any blood at all you'll be ok

gums should be pale pink and flat to the teeth

don't overuse rinse its not good for you certainly if you've caught it in time you'll keep your teeth now you are aware.

5 mins twice a day is fine no need to get anxuous

• Posted

Hi,

I also went through that.  I neglected my teeth as a teenager and was afraid to go to the dentist.  The dentist i went to as a child was horrible, he made me afraid.  so later on in my life i developed anxiety about my teeth.  Was was sure i had oral cancer and kept checking my mouth for lumps and spots, i still do sometimes because i have a fear of all cancers.  i found a great dentist and now I'm not as afraid, although i hate to go.  Please hang in there, you are not alone.

• Posted

Thank you. It feels liken I constantly have to check my teeth to make sure they're not falling out or that my gums aren't swollen (they are). Every time there's a little blood in the sink, I silently freak out.
  • Posted

yes, I know the feeling, I do this all the time. People tell me that I'm being silly, but I can't help it, its part of my anxiety. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.