Suffering with edema in legs and ankles

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is something relatively new to me.  I am 80 years old and have never until the past 2 years, had trouble with calves and ankles swelling.  I know enough to look this up and my kind of edema is secondary.  It is not coming from chemo and I have not had cancer.  I have had 2 surgeries for bladder.  All my tests, for kidney, liver etc. show normal.  I hate this and all that goes with it, such as support hose which I find difficult to put on.  Anyone having any success with this problem - any answers?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I'm busting fl and I'm guessing my swelling is due to weather , I've stopped salt use , drinking more H2o. I'm concerned it could be my heart .. Have stents but never a heart attack . One leg is more pitting edema . I'm from Az . We came to fl on Honda trike , had no problems coming across the states . My b/p was elevated , will check in am . Hoping it's the weather ... Hugs .. Hope you're finding some relief. ??

• Posted

Thanks much for your response.  I too, am hoping it isn't my heart.  Have never had a heart attack, several tests but not the one with dye.  My reg. doctor does not think it is heart, however, at my age, you know they aren't terribly concerned!  I don't have much energy, have scoliosis but we know that has nothing to do with lyphodema.  Thanks again and my best to you as you search for answers.

• Posted

Hi Sally. I had shingles last July on my scalp n have had headaches since then , though I doubt there's any connection , have had days where I'm exhausted , I'm 66 . Just had stress test. N all was well however my heart hasn't showed anything on stress test or EKG , problem is blockage not electrical . However I do have a mass on each kidney that concerns me , I took extra water pill n lost 4 lbs or fluid . No pain or anything with kidneys , hoping it's the heat here in Fl . Where do you love ?? Tc hugs ??

• Posted

I don't think the mass, as you called it is anything to worry about or your physician would have done more testing, Actially, I believe I had something on one kidney, what term I don't recall and they said nothing unusual abou that at my age.  I have fibromyalgia, which pretty much wrecks up any diagnoses ( self or otherwise ) as it has dozens of symptoms!  I take a blood pressure med and it has a diaretic in it.  Not much sleep for me.  I've been that way for years but that doesn't help matters.

• Posted

We do keep an eye on kidneys doing ultra sounds yearly just to check on it , I wanted a biopsy but nephrologist felt it wasn't needed at this time . Just keep doing what I am and I can contact my PA and she what she thinks . Take 2 b/ p meds and separate diuretic . Feel better. Tc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.