Suffering with Foot Drop

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, seems like the last time I was here was about 9 years ago .. wow! Was only 70 then and now nearly 80, where does the time go.

I was looking for information about "Foot Drop" which I've suddenly got. When I walk my right foot doesn't lift clear of the floor, the toes drop down causing me to trip! Bad news at any age but at my age this is really bad news obviously. A fall could cause me a broken hip or something and as I'm caring for my partner who is disabled we would really be in trouble. I am having to walk with an exaggerated lift from the knee so I plant my foot down flat instead of doing the usual walk of heel toe lift.

I've been researching treatments and I've found a simple solution which only involves a simple injection behind the knee called Fibula Nerve Hydrodissection but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. All I can find in the UK is electrical nerve stimulation either topically or under the skin. I'm having an X-ray on my back next week and a body CT Scan the week after.

Has anyone here in the UK heard of it or had it and did you find a treatment for it? xx

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

there is also a custom brace that will help with drop foot.

before doing the injection behind the knee there needs to be more research on this procedure and experienced doctors .

from what i have read comprehensive literature search only elicited one case of hydrodissection being used to treat peroneal nerve compression. no studies have been on the side effects of this procedure.

my answer is no at this time . more research is needed. my heart goes out to you. sending blessings your way. have had three hip joint replacement surgeries . i totally get the drop foot.

• Edited

Hi Barbara xx

I watched the procedure on Utube and it looked very simple, no anaesthetic required and the effect was almost instantantaneous. I did also find a lot of facts and figures regarding trials and effectiveness and no, it wasn't 100% successful but it was tried on Stroke patients among others so I suppose it would depend on what is actually causing mine.

I was looking on Amazon at the many different design of brace that they have and none of them look very comfortable for walking. I shall just have to wait and see what the X-rays show is causing mine and see what they suggest to help me.

Thank you for your comments. x I appreciate your input.

• Edited

Condition mentioned was drop foot , addressing that issue only. Treatment depends on the specific cause of foot drop. That element is not known. The most common treatment is to support the foot with lightweight leg braces and shoe inserts, called ankle-foot orthotics is well known for one type of drop foot many are familiar .

Drop foot is generally related to trapped or damaged nerve. Nerve hydrodissection (HD), is a technique used when treating nerve entrapments, involves the injection of an anesthetic, saline, or 5% dextrose in water to separate the nerve from the surrounding tissue, fascia, or adjacent structures depending on cause of infringements is soft compression.

In my personal experiences with injections using same techniques ultrasound visualization used to relieve hip compression trapped nerve with same type of solution which just numbs the area. It was only a temporary fix until the anesthetic -dextrose wears off . Not gonna sugar coat my experience the injection is extremely painful, did not help at all. This has been in the news again lately and is nothing new. It is a management technique used to treat pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.