Suffering with SVT...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been having this since 2011 and it has taken until 4 months ago to have it diagnosed.

It begins with a crushing sensation around the chest, creeps up to the left side of my neck and then the numbness in my left are.

During this my heart rate reaches 179/186 bpm.

I have a spray I use but it's beginning to not really help and all I get from it is a pounding headache!

All these episodes happen when I doing absolutely nothing. During the evening watching TV or when I go to bed.

Never when I'm active during the day, quite bizarre really.

Over the last week or so, I've been getting the odd heart crushing moment during the day (this never happens!)

Today it happened during my work. I purchased a fitbit to monitor my heart beats and today it hit 178.

I'm concerned because when this usually happens, at night. I'm left totally wiped out. But that's ok because I fall asleep and I'm OK in the mornings.

Today, after it, I'm totally exhausted and felt pretty unwell at work.

I'm on medication, Rampril and Bisoprolol.

Just curious if anyone here has this whereby the heart rate soars whilst resting?

Also I guess the reason for feeling so exhausted after it, is because of the high heart rate.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It is common for you to feel tired and worn out after SVT episodes. I have never felt tired after mine, but (1) I'm young, and (2) mine only last for a few minutes. Mine happens very randomly with exercise, never happened when I'm sitting there. If medication is unable to help you to your satisfaction, you can either try to find the triggers causing it (caffeine and alcohol are some main ones, and I personally believe sugar contributes to it), or you could ask your doctor about an ablation.

• Posted

The consultant decided that given the medication is not really helping then ablation is the next step.

I had my arteries checked a few months ago and all was clear smile

• Posted

Hi Patricia. Most often my SVT episodes started when I was just relaxed, sitting down etc. with no known trigger at all, This is quite common. 

I'm not familiar with the 'crushing' sensation you mention. Does it feel like a sudden 'thud' that lasts less than a second, or like something in your chest is being squeezed over a longer period of time?

• Posted

It's kind of like a huge pressure on my chest really Ciaran, a very uncomfortable feeling. It lasts until the bpm drops, probably between 10/20 minutes. By that time I'm exhausted.

• Posted

Sorry you're having this trouble Patricia. It doesn't sound like 'standard' SVT. Has your Cardio diagnosed a particular SVT variety and/or another complication?

• Posted

I think the next time this happens to you, you should immediately go to the ER.

chest pressure and left arm pain could be something else. 

If your medication is not helping, you should talk to your cardiologist about changing your medication.

i have had SVT while resting. 

You never know when it's going to come on or how long it's going to last?

mine happened while at a traffic light, driving down the road, sitting on the sofa, while walking across the room, while sitting at a restaurant eating, on and on. 

The reason you are "wiped out" and tired is because it's like you have run a marathon but didn't. It made me tired for 2-3 days afterwards. The high heart rate does that. 

Has your doctor offered you an ablation? 

• Posted

Hi Linda

I've been to A&E many times due to this, had paramedics at the house. Problem is by the time they arrive, my heart rate has dropped.

I had a pre assessment this morning at the hospital, in preparation for an ablation. Apparently, the wait is around 18 weeks.

Having said that, I phoned my Dr this evening, she is going to try and bring this forward.

If it's now happening during daytime hours, I don't want it effecting my work.

• Posted

SVT comes and goes at any time, any place. 

It will suddenly come on without warning and you never know how long it's going to last. When it stops, then it just goes away like it came on. 

• Posted

Patricia, my bad SVT episodes occur most times when I'm sleeping, and so I'm woken up from a sound sleep. I started taking my meds at night so it would help with that, and it has somewhat. Other times caffeine, spicy food, etc. trigger it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.