Suffering with thrush is upsetting my relationship with my husband

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had never experienced thrush before until I had my IUD changed last year.  Since then I have not had many days 'thrush-free'.  I have tried the creams, I have been to the GP who also gave me a steroid cream.  These are now not effective.  I can't say for certain that the new IUD caused the problem but seems a little coincidental that one followed the other.  I am now tired, run down, weepy and very itchy.  At least the anti-histamine tablets knock me out for a couple of hours.................  thinking of going back to GP.

Sex is now virtually non existent - it is too painful and uncomfortable.

Can this reoccurance be linked to menopause?  If so do I have to come out of this the other side before I get any respite?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Janice,  and hello to all the others plagued with thrush.  As an elderly diabetic guy,  I get thrush too;  done all the "azoles",  the diprosone etc.  But not one medico twigged onto candidiasis of the gut as the feeder.  Had to find it myself.  OK,  heavy use long-term antibiotic destroyed my gut flora,  allowing candida to overgrow;  gave me diarrhea for months.  Heavy probiotic ingestion plus nystatin fixed the diahrrhea but it will take months of treatment to eradicate the candidiasis as the yeast burrows into the gut wall. I will keep you posted.  My suggestion is to do what I have done:  zero carbohydrates in diet,  high protein,  high fats - coconut oil,  olive oil,  fish oil,  eggs, buckets of plain "living" greek yogurt and a wide variety of probiotics.  Best wishes,  and good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice.  I finally plucked up the courage and got time off work to go to GP.  She immediately diagnosed a Lichen sclerosus. Betnovate steroid cream and antihystamine to 'knock me out' at night has relieved systoms long enough so I had 4 hours unbroken sleep last night - luxury!  Blood tests done this morning for alsorts of things so just waiting for results and follow up appointment next week.  Diet seems to be a must though especially if menopause is confirmed.  Bring it on!!!
  • Posted

Hi Janice,  sorrty about your diagnosis,  but at least you know where you are.

Further to my earlier notes:  these days the medics seem set in TREATING  symptoms,  using all the different things the Phasrmaceutical Companies can develop;  little thought appears to be given to CURING the complaint.  My approach is to find the CAUSE,  then get rid of it.  So many problems related to immune system over-reaction are ignored,  just the symptoms are treated,  for ever and ever.  Overgrowth of candida albicans in the gut causes a lot of problems apparently due to the yeast burying itself in the wall of the intestines,  causing the "leaky gut" syndrome which appears to trigger a host of auto immune problems.  By iliminating the yeast buildup in the gut,  the "leaky gut" slowly heals and the auto immune problem slowly abates;  at the same time the oversupply of yeast which feeds into the vagina from the bowel is reduced and vaginal thrush diminishes,  finally becoming history.  

The method of setting this about is by using nystatin to kill the candida yeast for a number of months,  and regularly re-seed the proper gut flora with probiotics.  I use a number of sources,  capsules,  tablets,  yogurt and Yalult.

As my diarrhea has stopped,  I know things are working for me.

I hope this explains things better,  and that you get onto it,  yes,  even while treating the LS.  You may find things will improve down the track.  Cheers,  and Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.