Sugar

Posted , 2 users are following.

First my history. After i was married over 50 years ago i got repeated uti s. Something like every month and that was followed by thrush i used to sit on the toilet and cry. I bet many can identify with that. Eventual after showing a sample full of blood to the doctor i was sent to a urologist. I was washed out and given long very long course of antibiotics. For over 35 years i never had another uti. Always remembering to wash before intercourse and pee afterwards. Along comes the menopause and the attacks start again . I have a hormone cream for my lower regions as i seem to be unable to eat or drink anything acidic without pain.Could this be i c?. I tried d mannose after the last attack and it seemed to work at first but then was overwhelmed and i ended up in the emergency minor injury clinic and prescibed antibiotics i am eager to prevent attacks as i am resistant to many antibiotics, i presume because of my history.. Now to the nitty gritty. I eat very little sugar but each attack seems to come on after over indulgence in sugar or dark chocolate. Has anyone else noticed this? I have now finished the antibiotics and put myself on d mannose 1000mg four times a day which i will slowly reduce slowly over the next few week s I shall not be overindulging in ordinary(sucrose) sugar again. Has any one any comments

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ps i am not diabetic but will ask for another a1c test.

• Posted

Thanks for adding that as diabetes was my first thought! I'm not sure what you mean by pain in the lower regions that seems to come on after eating anything acidic. You ask if it's I.C. so do you mean the pain is in your bladder? Or, because of the hormone cream do you mean it's in the vulva? If this has only started since the menopause I would say it's unlikely to be IC and a hormone cream wouldn't affect the bladder anyway.

It could be to do with the sugar thing if, as you say, you normally eat very little. It might be that the overindulgence caused excess sugar to be in your urine as your body, while not actually diabetic, needed to offload the sugar ASAP! The extra sugar in your urine can give the natural yeasts a chance to get a grip causing a bit of thrush.

It sounds like not overindulging is the way to go (but I know it's easier said than done!)

P.S. organic coconut oil is very soothing for the lower regions and saves you from overdoing it with the hormone cream.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.