Sugar addiction please help!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im trying to quit sugar at the mo, as I'd like to get my body into a healthier and more stable place. However, whenever I go without sweets, cakes or refined sugar for anything more than a few hours, it seems to set my anxiety, depression and insomnia off With alarming force ! I know it sounds silly, but it's very scary. Anyone else have this? I'm feeling like an addict but really want to stop depending on bad food for happiness. 😟

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

do you know what I've been trying to do the same, but I fail terribly, and I do often think , am I addicted to suger? ? not sure if it makes my anxiety worse or the depression,?? cos I always give in to the craving, sometimes I almost scoff it down soo fast. very strange??
  • Posted

The best way to even out your blood sugar level is to have protein at every meal and when you eat any carbs make sure they are complex carbs. I personally follow a paleo diet because my blood sugar level was dropping severely throughout the day and causing my anxiety to go through the roof. Changing your diet to a much healthier one will help you tremendously.
  • Posted

If you eat a handful of blue berries a day it helps lessen your urge to eat sugary foods, which could help you get through withdrawal.
    • Posted

Thanks everyone. I have tried replacing sugar with fruit but no relief. I love fruit though. I think I'm just going to have to face the music, or wean myself off it slowly. I just didn't expect such violent symptoms! I will try adding more protein to each meal though, thanks.
  • Posted

Hi saloire, I know what you mean. Sugar is a strong stimulant and if we arent careful we may find ourselves addicted to it. I would suggest that you try to wean off it little by little every day until you cut down.  You also could try eating alot of suger one day and you will be sick of it.  Most therapist recomend this in treatment.   Remember your body needs good sugars for energy and metabolism, so substitute bad sugars with lots of fruits and vegies.  Fruit will take off the edge of not have sugar in your diet. Hopefully this will help you. Stay healthy and strong. Eat was is good for you and listen to your body.
  • Posted

Subsitute the junk for fruit. Doesnt have to be the standard apple or orange they are good but theres a huge variety out there.Theres sugar in fruit. Or sugar can candied ginger. You are getting a drop in your sugar levels that what junk food does. Try apples, green apple or if you love sweet pears, peaches..etc.. Keep your sugar levels balanced. Dip apples in peanut butter.there are healthy natural sugars. Grazing is best throught the day. It isnt setting you into a panic attack per say because your not eating junk foods its your glycemic levels, sugar levels that are messing you up. Your masking it with junk sugary foods. If you hate standard fruits try trooical ines mangos, papayas (really healthy) mix blabberries and strawberries and place on yougurt or even no sagr frozen yougurt with a sliced banana. There are ither oprions. If you keep having such issues with sugar levels maybe go to the doctor and ask him to check your sugar counts and explain if yiu dont consume lots of sweet junk you get very jittery and triggers anxiety. Hell test you for diabeties or hypoglycemia.sugar levels effect mood and anxiety.
  • Posted

Weaning yourself off sugar is a great idea. It will take quite a while though for you to stop the craving as sugar is so addictive. Fruit even though it has nutrients is still full of sugar. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.