sugar and reflux?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to do a food diary at the moment to see if anything.in particular is triggering my reflux (its slow progress!). Does anyone else get symptoms with sugar? Its not one I've seen as a common cause but sugary foods seem to get an almost immediate reaction. It tends to be things like cake though so I'm wondering if its actually something else in it (gluten, fat?) that's the problem.

Xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes sugar sets me up for throwing up immediately. But it is usually like in a surgery drink or chocolate candy. Not so much cake. Cake us like bread and should be avoided because it doesn't digest too quickly. Good luck

• Posted

Sugar is a no no for me. I love my cup of coffee and thought the cafiene in it was the trigger, much to my belief it was actually the sugar. I limit it now and seem to work well.
  • Posted

Rich heavy high carb, high sugar and fat all these trigger off the reflux for me. Low carb bread is better for me, and also gluten free cakes.

not that I have an intolerance to gluten, but it's just that the digestion is much better, and easier on my gut.

• Posted

Yes I can get reflux from sugar and I have spoken to other people too who react to sugar.

My main triggers are:

Coffee (even some herbals I react too!!)

Chocolate (big no no and its my favourite food)

Garlic and onion

Spicy food

Fatty food ( eg cake)

Yogurt

Cheese (but not everytime?),

Alcohol (not immediately)

Some fruits (figs espec)

Good luck with diary. I've just had allergy test done and I'm waiting for results.

Dom 😊

• Posted

Have you heard of Kefir it a strong probiotic, you can but it, but you can also make it yourself, I make milk kefir, it is very easy, my wife suffers reflux but kefir definitely seems to help loads, plenty of info online.
    • Posted

Its probably one of the few things I haven't tried so far! I'll look it up and give it a go, thanks smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.