Sugar as Trigger Food?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I apologize if this was already addressed elsewhere in the forum -- I did look! -- but has anyone noticed sugary/fatty desserts, pastries, etc. being a trigger or exacerbator (I think I just made up that word:)) of diverticulitis?

I ask 'cause I have had 3 flares in 6 months and am wondering WTF is going on. I wonder if my affinity for sweets might be contributing to the problem.

Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely!!! it was for me. I will say that staying away from it helped a ton. I also simultaneously started on whole leaf aloe vera juice, organic, 1 oz. first thing in am. After a few weeks I slowly reintroduce sugar while still taking the juice and been doing ok. The juice is an anti inflammatory, while sugar tends to promote inflammation, so that explains it.

• Posted

thats a good ? i never had sweets to flare me up thank god cause i do love them what else have you been eating? Anything with nuts,poo corn etc

• Posted

Thanks, Izzy. I think I might just cold-turkey the sweets for a bit and see what happens.

No, Stacey, no nuts, seeds, etc., although my doc says that's old-school thinking and to eat all the nutty, seedy things I want.

• Posted

Hey MD,

I've certainly noticed fat is not good for DD. I've just done a session with a good dietitian who has clarified that sugar and some (bad) fats and oils cause inflammation in the colon. So things like vegi oil, rape seed (canola) oil, sunflower, margarines, fried oils etc should be avoided. Interestingly there are (good) oils which are Anti-infammatory - these include olive oil, avacado oil, flaxseed, hemp seed, butter.

So I think your observation is probably on the money. Good luck with the DD - damn boring disease!

Best

James

• Posted

...Sorry just reading this hand out ...

what it says is that sugar rich food disturbs the intestinal flora and feeds unwanted bacteria along with promoting inflammation.

As someone with a sweet tooth myself I sympathise !

J

• Posted

Thanks, James. I like the idea of working with a nutritionist, but finding one who understands gut issues appears to be difficult -- at least here in South Florida. And I want to avoid fringe-y ones who might think vegan or paleo is the only way to go. I'd like to stay in the mainstream, at least for now.

Boring? I would be happy for boring. It's the pain that I can't take.

• Posted

I was told by my GI doc to avoid sweets. He added his opinion that sweets were even worse than fat for one's diet.

• Posted

Hey - yes I can sympathise with that as well MD - most of the time it is the same for me as well - low level pain and round attacks much worse. Paracetamol does hit it for me though I dont like taking it regularly as prefer to know what's going on. About 18 months ago I went through a phase like you of repeated flares - I take it you've done the usual of going completely liquid etc?

• Posted

Not liquid completely but pretty close. I caught the last attack (last weekend) before it blossomed and started a bland, fiber-less, low-fat diet. Five days later I am much improved. I am now slowly introducing more challenging foods.

• Posted

yes I'm afraid this thing requires serious lifestyle changes and constant vigilance - be careful not to reintroduce too fast - I want to quickly last time and kicked off another attack!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi MD, I don't know if my earlier reply will come back from the moderator's office (I always take this as a compliment - that I've written something that's worth moderating!).

This is just to say I only said about trying to cut out sugar as much as you can - think of it as a poison that your body doesn't need and you'll be doing yourself a huge favour. I see others are saying the same thing so I won't go on - except to say to watch out for bad fats as well (palm oil especially).

• Posted

Thanks, Miriam. Like all things nutrition-y, I think it depends a lot on your particular ability to deal with the sugar. I plan to cut way back on it and see what happens. Just don't take away my red wine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.