Sugar cravings

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all so I had my gallbladder surgery on Saturday and ever since I'm seriously craving sugar. I've never had a sweet tooth and haven't had sugar in my tea or feral for over 20 years. I don't even really eat anything with sweetener in as I don't like the taste. Now all I want is some weetabix or something covered in sugar!!! Anyone else have cravings after removal??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,

thats really weird... I had my gallbladder removed in February 2016 and now have a craving for salt... I've never added salt to my food but now find I want salt on everything .... :-)

• Posted

I think it might be connected to the liver which metabolises glucose/ glycogen. Not sure how Gb ties in with it but will look into some research when I have a minute. I've still got a Gb (on a waiting list) but have had blood sugar swings and cravings maybe as my Gb is scarred so not working.

Struggling to cut down on the sweet stuff as I know it is not good but I cannot eat many foods now so I think it is the body's way of trying to get energy. Are you able to eat normally otherwise?

• Posted

To be honest I don't have much of an appetite. I have been told to eat little and often and as I was on a cat free diet for so long to very slowly 're introduce fats. Can't say I have dared to just yet though.
    • Posted

Guessing you need the calories then. Maybe when you are able to eat more variety, you will not crave sugar so much? I hope to be able to eat better post op (eventually - I know you have to be careful at first) as the last 7 months have been rough, living on only a few foods and I had no appetite, though the last few weeks have been a little better. I ate low carb mostly in the last few years, but when things flared up badly, could only really tolerate carbs. It does seem to alter your blood chemistry, having Gb disease.

They say to avoid foods with the long chain fatty acids in them - this is usually what we think of as fast or junk food as these are the worst.

Hope you can get back to how you want to be soon.

• Posted

PS I just read something that suggests you could have a mineral shortage if you crave sugar, so a vitamin/ mineral supplement might be worth trying??
  • Posted

Thanks for the info Cynthia I'm seeing the nurse today to check on the incisions so I will definitely ask and let you know
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed two days ago.. Not hungry at all. I suffer with sugar issues..not a diabetic . However I am a health freak and never ever ate junk food..occasional  indulgence -yes. That would intail once in two months-pizza a beer night. I work out and I'm 53 yr old female. I live a very active life style. All that I've read was people gaining weight and just horrible stories. I am thinking that they never lived a healthy life prior. How can one just think and or assume they can eat rap and expect to lose weight. Well not I. So my questions is had you had any weight issues-if you life a healthy and I mean a real healthy lifestyle. Advise is always welcomed and of course I take all information with a grain of salt. thank you in advance. 

• Posted

I am 15 days post-op and I am going through the exact same thing. I woke up from surgery with zero appetite. ZERO. It hasn't really returned except for craving sugar. I wasn't a sweet eater prior or surgery. I would have a bite or two of something sweet and that is all I would want. But now I really enjoy it. Did anyone ever figure out what is up with the sugar craving?

• Posted

hi,

I am just over 4 weeks post op and my cravings have been for fruit and vegetables. I have eaten meat and tolerated it well, but have a preference for more vegetable based dishes I cannot tell you how many oranges I have consumed! Interestingly, during both my pregnancies, many years ago, I also had strong cravings for fruit, in particular bananas, peaches and apples

The variation of experiences following this surgery is quite striking. Perhaps, as previously mentioned, our bodies are telling us what we are deficient in or what we need to heal .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.