Sugar free!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All.

To all those on a sugar / wheat / dairy free diet for LS, can you tell me if it is working for you? Also to what extent are you following it ie. no alcohol? (have read spirts are no sugar) also, things like lactose free cheese, would you eat that? Also bread with sugar beet fibre, would you eat that?? Ta x

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire

I have emliminated milk I still eat cheese on occasion, I don't eat store bought bread either I make my own sourdough or go without. Never drink alcohol so can't help you with that. I try to cut out as much sugar as possible but I'm a chocoholic with a really sweet tooth, so if I eat to much sugar I get the occasional itch other than that pretty much symptom free. 

• Posted

Hi Kellie,

Do you think that giving up sugar etc resulted directly in your being symptom free ?? 

Ta 

• Posted

Hi Claire 

I personally think giving up milk has had the most benefit, I substitute with almond or coconut milk. I had a junk food weekend a few weeks ago with my Daughter, a movie day where we ate whatever we wanted pizza, cakes, chocolate, icecream basically aload of rubbish and I itched for days after not a flare just terrible itching. I have been working on healing my gut and detoxing my body so maybe that has has helped too. But I haven't had any symptoms since then middle of June which was a pretty big flare up ( only the second one I've ever had) I'm also not on any medication I don't even see the vulva dermatologist until the end of this month. And touch wood things are doing fine.

• Posted

Ah good for you.  I guess its liveable with if you can control it thro diet. Many obviously have it a lot worse, I can't imagine what life would be like then. Hopefully if I follow your lead I can recover too!
    • Posted

hey claire and kellie...I loved this discussion....thank you so much!

I'm doing a de-tox at the mo...its kind of an elimination diet.

I gave up wheat as soon as I was diagnosed nearly a year ago now (and told that the condition is incurable....and that I must use clobetasol or I'll get cancer...in a very treatening way). I decided I'm not having that ....did get the prescription though...knew I would not resort to it... but did try it out of curiosity...it burned...its a steroid...I was doing without it...and still am...

So I've cut out wheat and at the mo all grains. How do you both feel about rice quinoa and amaranth? I prob should have an Ig test. Are you uk based and do you know if the NHS does this?

Think kellie I'm also going to follow your lead and quit dairy too. I'm building up to it....! Sugar free starts tomo. Dairy free is last to go on this de-tox...its a paid for thing so I feel a bit supported....but am so pleased that you too are undertaking this...we can help keep each other stay on the wagon!

• Posted

Good luck on your detox, Marey!  --Suzanne
    • Posted

I am in the UK, are you? Sounds like you dont have a very understanding doctor!!! Im cutting out wheat / gluten but not other g/f grain,rice etc. Not sure what the NHS offer. Going to my GP next week to ask for thryroid/hormone blood test. Also want my vitimin etc levels tested but dont know if they will do that, maybe they can refer me to a dietician ??? Im finding dairy the hardest to do without. Sugar I hardly ate anyway and gluten free is doable. Well good luck on the detox, lets hope we all get what we want!!
    • Posted

Hi Marey

I'm in the UK not sure if I've told you that before. I still eat brown rice maybe 1-2 per week at most, I'm not fond of quinoa and have never tried amaranth. The nhs doesn't really like to test anything really, do they.

• Posted

I've had a thyroid test but it was pretty useless they only test FSH and T4 when you need T3, reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies, unless you get a really good doctor. Not sure if they do vitamin levels other than electrolytes and stuff, but even then it's only blood serum most of those minerals are on a cellular level and will show up on tests as normal range when they can be far from it, they can  be tested via hair testing which is not offered on the nhs. 

• Posted

Hi Claire--Controlling the LS is one goal with diet changes, but I see diet changes more broadly as helping to address the underlying conditions that led to the LS and which may lead also to other problems.  I see LS and other autoimmune issues as a communication from the body that something is wrong.  While genes are a part of this, genes need to be turned on environmentally to be active--and food and stress are a part of our environment that we can perhaps have an influence on.  So a result in treating the LS with diet and lifestyle changes is to positively affect health generally.  Not easy, but then I think that changing diet can have wonderful far-reaching effects!  Just a thought!  Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Oh wow that's great you know all that ! Will ask for that when I see the dr.  Whether I get it or not .......

Have you done the hair testing thing?

• Posted

No I haven't done it yet, but I am looking into it. I have already started upping my minerals though. I would advise anyone who wants to learn about health and mineral imbalances to check out the magnesium advocacy group on facebook, it is so informative with plenty of medical professionals who advocate natural healing with diet mainly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.