Sugar intolerance/Allergy anyone else with menopause.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Its taken me a while to work out what was happening but i just thought i would put it on here just in case anyone else is having the smae issues. Ive been having Peri menopause syptoms for about 4 years now, but due to having chronic ilness i just brushed it off as another part of my ilnesss. Im 48 so i guess i should have realised.  There have been many weird things happening.. one was a really weird taste in my mouth and unable to eat or drink certain things without them tasting foul.  That started at the beginging of last year. Fast forward toseptempber of last year and my periods stopped for 4 months and i started having really bad menopause symptoms. Hot flushes, heart pounding, night sweats etc.  my periods started up again though they are now all over the placebut ive ive also noticed that i have developed an allergy to sugar. If i eat or drink anything with alot of sugar in it within 10 mins my sinuses swell up then i get a terrible headache that no painkiller will touch. about 80% of the time an antihistamine will help and the headace does calm down. I did think it was odd and related to my other ilness , but on research i find that it common in menopause as the lack of eastrogen effects your bodies ability to handle sugar and processed carbs.   Anyone else with similar issues?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! Its interesting you should say that! Im 19 months into menopause and have had stomach issues for 2 years, severe and daily bloating, burping, chest discomfort due to the gas, palpitations which i believe are often caused by aggravation on the vagus nerve which can upset heart rhythm. I have this issue on an empty stomach and also as a quick reaction when i eat most foods it seems! I particularly notice a reaction to sugar/cakes/pastries/ potatoes/bread. I had all sorts of tests 18 mths ago to rule out bacterial infection/cancer/ulcers/celiac etc, nothing showed up so deemed to be IBS but im not convinced...i have no pain or cramping.i tried probiotics from a health store for 6 months, no use, i thought it might be because i had a year on lots of antibiotics that may have wiped out good gut flora. I avoid antibiotics now if humanly possible because i still think it may have left my stomach vulnerable to problems at a time when menopause has its own effects on the gut. I keep meaning to see a nutritionist but have been focussing on getting through anxiety disorder on sertraline, which can add to stomach problems (dyspepsia). In meno we end up prioritising which problems to tackle first! Good luck getting yhrough it x
    • Posted

meno bloat is a big one for alot of people i think.. ive had it on and off.. just changed my diet a bit. Yes agree the anxiety is a huge one.. it is for me too.  So many people on here saying the same.. stressed out and terrified of everything. Crazy thing is I have Hyper POts so im used to anxiety and panic etc.. but this is totally different.. there is no reasoning with it... all the stuff i used before for the POTS does not work with this anxiety sad   and yes the anxiety causes alot of stomach issues for me too.. lost almost a stone since this started 8 months ago.  talking on here really helps.. at least you dont feel like your the only crazy person xx
    • Posted

I really feel for you as I am going through the same. Are you still getting your period?
    • Posted

I've gone the opposite...put on over a stone, but that can be meno, side effects of sertraline, being less active on betablockers...its all conspiring to make me fat! Lol none of us are crazy, we just feel like it lol, its all chemical/hormonal imbalance, we're not crazy and we're not weak....it takes real strength of character to get through this trial! Lol

• Posted

My body definitely processes sugars in a whole new way for the past three or 4 years...I avoid it as much as I can, and I definitely know when I have indulged.  I find that it is even worse at certain times of the month, and my natural help doctor agreed that sugars during monthly cyles are a whole new evil, and can really send you out of wack
    • Posted

I can't tolerate sugar either. It sends me into a like an awful sugar rush, with dizziness, palpitations and then a headache - all that triggers anxiety. Especially in the mornings! So I have cut it out completely including some fruits like pineapple. I have experienced anxiety before but what I am experiencing now is a whole new level. One dr wants me to go on anti anxiety but I googled the medication and was like eeeeeeee and I have got some serepax which I use 1/4 of in an emergency for sleeping. Yesterday I felt a bit " normal" for the afternoon as I started my period after 5 month gap. But today I have woken to cramps and a headache and mild anxiety.

• Posted

I have the same issue.. The sugar cuases anxiety atttacks eventuallysome tims hours.. some times the next day its weird. I too have cut it out as best i can.  I also agree about the anxiety being off the scale. I have lived with Hyper POTS for over 20 years so am used to anxiety and panic type sysptoms.. but this is a whole new level and the meds that used to work are having little effect  on it.  I have to say the anxiety is now my worst symptom although i am coping it has a bad effect on my day to day life so i am considring talking HRT which my doctor gave me a few months ago but have resisted.  Yes i am still having periods.. but im missing some then having 2 in two weeks.. its all over the place which making everything so much more difficult as you never know what is comming next with regard to symptoms.  Its so hard an my heart goes out to all the lovely ladies on here who are fighting their own daily battle with this. x
    • Posted

I am also considering HRT. Even for 6 to 12 months and see how I go. I've never taken any medications before ( except Panadol and even then a half lol) so I am quite nervous which is not good for anxiety! I feel disappointed somehow as my body has always been in its natural rythym. I wasn't even on the pill ( haha 5 beautiful children) so I am struggling with the possibility of using synthetic hormones. sad thanks for your reply. 😊

• Posted

i know what your saying, but the way i look at it is... life is short... we have know way of knowing how long we are going to be in this state. Its not just effecting my life its also effecting everyone around me.. I used to have my grandson 2 days a week and have done since he was born.... hes just gone 6 today smile But i havent been able to look after him for 6 months now as its effected me so bad. I refuse to miss anymore of his life just for the sake of talking a tablet everyday. They grow up so fast rolleyes   Im used to dealing with my body letting me down due to chronice ilness but it has never had me so bad that i couldnt cope with the basic things.  It may not work. but at least i will have tried my best and at the end of the day thats all any of us can do :p

• Posted

You are so right. I have a dr appointment on Wednesday. Do you ever get awful feelings of despondency and despair? In the mornings for me I feel awful with a darkness and apathy which is so not me!
    • Posted

Yup spot on!.. its like a constant feeling of impending doom in the background.  Yes mornings are not good. im woken every day with shaking then i have to run to the loo with the runs.. its not good at all. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm on evorel conti hrt patch (combined estrogen/progesterone), 50 mg patch but I cut it in half just for a little hormone boost. I'm also on sertraline for anxiety and betablockers for BP/ palps, so its hard to say if the hrt is helping...but at some point i'll come off the BBS and anti anxiety meds and stay on the hrt, I'm only 48 so I'm thinking 5 yrs on hrt...we'll see. It appears its less risky the sooner you start it after meno and for fewer years (less than ten). It appears it can help protect the heart from hardening arteries, as my palps give me anxiety, anything that helps me think my hearts ok is useful!

• Posted

Always been sensative to sugars and carbs but it seems a lot worse now. Horrible bloating and gas and sugars seem to make me irritable. Also find myself going to the bathroom constantly next day. I still allow myself cake and chocolate twice a week. Might sound weird but I only have it at night so I can sleep off the horrible feelings. Rest of my diet is perfect clean with almost no carbs and I definitely feel better.
    • Posted

I must say i do sneak in the odd bit, but only in tiny amounts otherwise i feel so ill for days. Lets face it.. its such a rough time... and it makes me pretty angry that we cant even have confort food when we need it the most.. seems like out maker has a pretty rubbish sense ofhumour when it comes to the female of the species rolleyes
    • Posted

I know! Can't drink, gave up smoking, no caffeine, need to cut out sugar, no chocolate (migraines), no man/sex...wheres the pleasure? Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.