Sugar levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

Happy New Year everyone smile 

I am starting a fresh today! as planned to stop drinking taking it day by day. I drink mostly to ease my anxiety but I am fully aware that my drink is causing most of it !

The question I have now is about my diet. I am a very healthy eater . My diet is always well balanced with fresh fruit, veg, fish , meats etc. I do not eat processed foods and mostly drink herbal teas always decaf ! I tend to stay away from carbs but not completely and my sugar intake is very low.

I have been advised to keep my sugar levels right down to help my anxiety ? but have also been advised if I stop drinking to eat more sugarey foods as lack of sugar will increase my anxiety and make my energy levels low. 

I always suffer extreme tiredness when I give up drinking and this goes on for months ! All I want is to be fit and heathy 

I have been suffering from night sweats during the last few weeks which could be hormonal as I am coming up for the menopause age but to me this is a sign that I must help myself once and for all as I really want a better future and a healthier one. 

I dont drink in the day except the odd one occasionally. I normally start at 5pm and carry on . One to one and a half bottles a night normally. This has been everyday for nearly 20 years and it's a real hard struggle to go without!! I am determined now though smile  

Sorry to go on ! I feel like a record going round and round when I come on here  

Thanks for reading xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You certainly will be getting a lot of sugar from your wine. Maybe a small square of chocolate each day would help - but I'm no dietitian! Have you tried starting drinking an hour later and stopping an hour earlier (that would help cut out probably 2 or 3 glasses a day, depending on the size of glass, for a fee days and then shave another hour nor two off for a few days, to get used to having less sugar and less booze, until you don't have any? Or have much less and not every day. Good luck. And happy new year.
    • Posted

Thank you h1952. Your suggestion is far better than my sudden enthusiasm and high expectation for myself and far more sensible smile Its all well and good to say these things considering the day today but I have to be realistic and kind to myself ! I have tried this before but will try again by setting my goal at two gin and tonics per eve. I will feel better in the day and who knows may go without one eve smile

Many thanks and Happy New Year to you also xx 

• Posted

Good thinking Rainbow. Less drinking with two Gin and Tonic seems brilliant. You do have a very healthy lifestyle otherwise. Best of luck to you! All the best from Robin
    • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement Robin. I've had my two Gin and Tonics which wasnt easy as I missed the wine but now I'm over that feelingsmile clear in the head and happy with myself.

Thanks again , take care 

• Posted

Well done, rainbow. I was hoping to have a good day but succumbed to wine at lunchtime. Drank lots of water all afternoon, but wine again tonight, but I have stopped now at 9pm and having coffee so not a disaster

Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi h1954

Well , you have stopped now with a coffee and thats great , plus all the water smile Tomorrow is a new day !

Good luck also and take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.