SUGGESTIONS What kind of laundry detergent do you use?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im switching from Purex's liquid clean and clear to Seventh Generation’s sensitive skin pods. I think the Purex has been  irritating me or maybe it's the people at the Laundry Mat who use so much of their   detergents, bleach and/or softeners it leaves some behind in the machine. (i aways do a smell check) I also dont use anything else but detergent. I would like to know what you have tried in the past that has worked terribly for you or worked well for you.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

We use eco balls and occasionally Filetti soap powder. Extra rinsing helps. Tumble drying is recommended at 60 or more but not all clothing can be tumble dried. I boil wash towels and bed sheets etc at 90 and dry at that temp.
  • Posted

Hi, I have a contact dermatitis and I chose detergents and cosmetic products according to their ingredients. Many detergents don't come with a complete list of ingredients on the packaging but on most of them you will find contact details so it's possible to ask for more information. For example, you can ask for the safety sheet with the complete list of ingredients. 

I am allergic to sulfonated fatty acids and e.g. I can not use Purex's Free and Clear Liquid detergent marketed for people with sensitive skin. It always depends on what you are allergic to. In my case, I have more chance of finding a suitable laundry detergent in powdered form. Other people are allergic to enzymes found in 'bio' detergents. It's best if you could figure out what ingredients is causing you problems. 

Btw, I just had a look and SeventhGeneration post the ingredients of their products on their site. 

You could also set the washing machine to perform an additional rinse cycle (not sure if that's possible in a laundromat). 

• Posted

In England I used Bold which seemed to help reduce itching compared with the ones my mum used which was persil and fairy and the supermarkets own brands. To be honest none were great, but there was a noticeable reduction in itching with Bold. Since moving to America my wife has used Tide though I think the lotion I have been using seems to have cancelled out any effect - positive or negative of laundry detergents. 

In my experience a bad detergent can make a bad flare up not being treated properly worse, but if you've found an effective treatment, at least for me, it doesn't seem to matter which detergent I use.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.