Suicidal thoughts

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had gastric bypass 2yrs ago and I've lost 12st I've been suffering with stomach pain since July last year and the beginning of 2016 I was put on gabapthin 300mg 3 x a day I have since gained a stone in weight and niven been suffering serious mood swings and depression for at least 6mths or so slowly getting worse with every passing day with today been my worst ever feeling being so close to taking a overdose which if it wasn't for my hubby I would have taken the tramadol bcoz that was the only way I could think of , of getting away from myself and getting out of my head .

Has anybody else felt so low while taking gabapthin ????

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Gaba. can cause serious depression. I had it while on it.......also caused me agressive,  and suspicious feelings as well. !! horrible drug. I am off of it now...thank god.
  • Posted

I also sufferred from a bout of serious depression on Gabapentin. The doctor took me off immediately. I wanted to kill myself with pills. Start titrating off of it and tell them you have depression and need a different type of painkiller for your pain. Tramadol is not a very good pain reliever. It's like taking a baby Vicodin. You need something stronger that your stomach can tolerate. Lidocaine patches on the back help me with stomach cramps and back pain during my period. I'm on cymbalta for chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and depression. It works wonders. It's generic is duloxetine. It decreases pain. It gets me out of my head. I had very low energy, was very tired. Couldn't stop thinking about problems. I even made up problems before they could occur as if anything bad might happen at anytime. 

It took me a month to wean off of Gabapentin, but that doesn't mean that they can't prescribe other drugs while you are weaning off. 

I was at the same dose as you too. 

Good luck. Have your husband go with you to the doctor visit for support. Don't tell them you wanted to use Tramadol to commit suicide because then they won't prescribe anything stronger. Tell them the pain is unbearable and you feel like you are 25 years older and you can barely move. Mention that you are depressed too. 

• Posted

Thank you debra59438 I'm so glad it isn't just me , if my hubby hadn't have stayed with me earlier bcoz he's seen me.go in my drug cabinet when I was telling him. To leave me alone he had an idea of what I was thinking , I don't think I would have been laid here now snuggled up with him , he's said he doesn't know who I am anymore bcoz I'm so manic up.one minute and so low the next , he's going to ring our gp in the morning and try get me appointment, I absolutely love Christmas but this year even though we are all trimmed up and we've got 2 little girls it doesn't feel at all Christmasy even Christmas day felt rubbish . Thank you for your reply xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle;

Gabapentin is a terrible drug; I was prescribed gabby for chronic back pain. I was not myself at all; I was irritable, very depressed and very tired. I wanted to cry a lot of the times; I didn't even recognize myself. I could feel myself getting so angry at the smallest of things. Even though I realized it I could not control my moods. I was no longer the happy lady that I used to be. I went off of the Gabapentin and I feel so much better! I no longer wanted to eat more than I should; my depression lifted and I feel better than I have in months. My Dr prescribed a pain patch for me to help with the pain until my back surgery.

I had a little grandson in Oct., and my son told me at Christmas that I wasn't at all myself when he was born and I knew I wasn't. . I feel horrible for being the way I was; but he realizes the medication was Definately the problem. Things are so much better now. You have two little children; please get off of the Gabapentin and live. Live for those beautiful babies who need you so badly; for your husband that needs you as badly if not more.

You mentioned that you had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago. My daughter has also been there; do you realize you should have nothing stronger than Tylenol? Your family Dr needs to be aware of your thoughts and I realize you were told not to mention to your Dr that you felt suicidal. I'm sorry but I disagree. It is these things we need to tell our Drs! It is so important they know what Gaby is doing to us! I disagree that he won't want to give you anything stronger.

Please keep insisting that your GP send you for more tests or go back to the surgeon who did your surgery. You could have an ulcer or any number of things; stomach pain all of the time is not normal. Ask for a CT or MRI; be your own advocate. I no longer will take a Drs word on anything; my story is too long to tell you. Pain meds can cause stomach pain as well but what really worries me is that you are in severe pain since gastric. That can be something very serious. Please ask your husband to go with you and tell the Dr how you have been. You really do need to see your gastric surgeon.

Sincerely...

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I have been on Gabapentin since October and really only have minor side effects and I take 100mg daily. But I also take nortriptoline so maybe that has helped me avoid feeling depressed. Please talk to your doctor and let them know how the med is making you feel. Sending my best to you smile

• Posted

First of all- you lost 12 stone. Amazing achievement- and if you put a stone back on, it's not the end of the world. Secondly, yes, the gaba can make you put on weight, and lead to deep depression and suicidal thoughts. Thirdly, don't try to get it down too fast- the withdrawal can be horrid. 

I'm in the don't tell the GP you have had thoughts of killing yourself with an overdose- you will never get anything stronger than an aspirin from the doctor again!! Tell him you are sad and low, and feel like you can't go on, don't be specific.

• Posted

I don't understand why you are telling this young lady to keep from her doctor that she was suicidal.

Drs prescribing this medication that is killing ppl need to know; it is not Michelle's fault; it is the Gabapentin! Do you realize there was a woman in here that list her son/daughter because of Gabapentin?

She was on here warning everyone how depressed he or she was; the Dr did nothing and they died.

The biggest thing that nobody on here seems to be getting is that Michelle had gastric bypass! Ppl that have had bypass surgery do not and can not tolerate medications the same as you or I can! In fact; Tylenol needs to be taken in small doses but more frequently than a normal person as their absorption rate is not the same as a normal persons!

The Drs need to find out why this poor lady is in SO much stomach pain for so long! It could be so many things; stomach issues are nothing to play around with on a gastric bypass patient!

• Posted

Then they need to take her off of it. She is saying that the Gabapentin is causing her to lose her lust for life. The same thing happened to me. If she needs a stronger painkiller and they take her off of the Tramadol - which could be part of the problem too since in higher doses it can cause manic depression also. I agree she needs to see a surgeon but I agree with michell that if you mention anything about suicide they will not give you anything stronger. People who are going to commit suicide usually do not ask for help first so please don't judge me. I felt the same way on Gabapentin. I had stomach problems for a long time too so I totally feel for Michelle and YOU KNOW that if you even mention wanting to committ suicide that a doctor will see that as a bad sign and that may create even worse consequences for Michelle. She needs support but not the cutting off of medical kind of support. Thanks for your input. People are not children and they can make decisions for themselves. Michelle has options and I'm sure her and her husband can make decisions. 

• Posted

Hi Debra; I was in no way judging you; I'm frustrated that nobody is getting that she is a gastric bypass patient and that all medications affect people that have had gastric bypass so differently. I know all too well what tramadol can do to a person and that could very well be the cause of her depression. Both are serious drugs and should not be taken lightly. Cymbalta is another very bad drug; it is hard on your kidneys and also causes depression. Why do you think I pleaded with her to ask her Dr to take her off of her medication for this very reason and to look into finding out why she is in so much stomach pain?

I feel for Michelle or I would not have tried to help her; don't assume to know me or what I have endured because of these meds! Gabapentin is for seizures; Drs are prescribing for a lot of things that it is not meant to be used for. Gabapentin causes stomach pain and so does the tramadol. Nobody has said they wanted her "cut off" of medications. I for one never did; you need to re-read my post.

When medication causes a person to be the way Michelle was feeling; the way many of us felt including myself, the medical field needs to know so that they don't keep using it for the wrong reasons. Like you said though; she is an adult and can make an informed decision on her own.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Michelle. Yes i was only on it for a day and I experienced horrible side effects. 4 days later im still dealing with them but they are starting to go away. I hope you start to feel better soon I'm sure it must feel impossible for you right now I've also dealt with similar symptoms with lexapro. I know this won't make you feel better but just know that it absolutely will get better over time. Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.