Suitable chair for after the op.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all

I have a provisional date for September 8th and I've just completed my chair/ sofa measurements for the hospital and realise that my setees in the lounge (3 and 2 seaters) are both too low. There isn't a single chair in the lounge but I do have one in the children's playroom but this has a very low back so not comfortable for long sitting or dozing in.

What advice can you give for the appropriate type of chair that I'll need post op. Is it worth me looking in charity shops for example to buy a high backed type? How long will I be needing it?

Many thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am now 3 weeks post op and was also worried about where to sit.  They had awesome high seat chairs in the hospital room that were available to rent for $80 a  month.  I was very tempted!  I have been making due with regular height chair with solid armrest's.  That is the main thing- being able to get in and out.  Honestly, I'm not that comfortable sitting anywhere except my bed with my feet up.  I can handle 30 minutes on a park bench, going to restaurant, sitting in the car, etc. Anyways, look for something that has solid armrests, firm seat, not cushy.  The higher the seat the better.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly

I had the same problem so the physio ordered me a chair which was retuned after 6 weeks.

Regards Julie

• Posted

Hi. Not sure if you're in UK or not. I'm in UK and when I handed in my measurement I was supplied with a high stool for bathroom and a high toilet seat. They would have provided a cushion to raise height of chair but I had bought recliner . Maybe have a look on EBay where there are usually good offers on mobility equipment.

I just wish I had been sent some home help and a physio instead!! X

• Posted

Hi Kimberley, are you in the UK? I was given a perching chair, v useful, ended up with 3 because a friend had some. (One at the table, one upstairs, one in the garden..) Also had elephant type feet supplied to raise the bed and sofa. Hope you get stuff supplied. I had a friend who put blocks of wood under his bed, but I was given everything. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Kimberley

Like you my settees were far too low and soft, so I bought an armchair specially for the post-op period because I knew I would be getting both hips done within 12 months and would be spending quite a bit of time sitting in it. It's comfortable but quite firm, the seat is high enough so I don't break the 90 degree rule, and it has armrests to help with getting in and out. It's not particularly high-backed, just  a normal armchair really. I tried a few out in various shops till I found one that felt right. We fight over it now as it's the most comfortable seat in the house!

sjhips

• Posted

Hi Kimberley. I had already purchased a rise and recline chair before I knew I needed my hip replaced as it was higher plus had solid arms. Im in the UK so like others was given perch stool, commode for use downstairs, frame for toilet. Sox on, handy grabber and long handled sponge. 4 weeks post op I went to a friends for dinner. Took a couple of pillows with me but it was hell getting up from the sofa. If you dont get any equipment given to you then use blocks to raise furniture.
  • Posted

I'm short 5' 1" so didn't have to raise too many things just put a cushion on my chair.

Did find the best chair of all is my rattan chair with arms plus an extra cushion.

Good luck finding something

• Posted

dear kimberley, 

great tips !!!  

I didn't have space for another chair and had blocks placed underneath my couch and thick cushion on my regular dining chair ... it worked for me ... 

it is the not-breaking-the 90 degress rules when you have the superior approach - also easier to sit down and get out and keeping leg/hip in right angle -

Many members had a great reclining chair in which they also slept on in the beginning, which made me a wee bit jealous ... 

You still have plenty of time to get something comfortable and right -- good luck -

come here any time when you have questions or concerns ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

My daughter managed to borrow a proper orthopidic chair from a friend of hers when I had mine done. It's hard isn't it but you don't want to be spending a fortune as it's not forever. The arms were the important thing for me. You really do need them to puch yourself up. I'm in the UK and was only offered the loo raiser, I bought a " helping hand " (gripper) myself and is very useful. Once I came home from my daughters (I live alone) I have a Lazy Boy recliner that has been invaluable to me but I didin't buy it special I already had it. (The down side to it was the night I was dozing in it and I had a power cut and couldn't get out hahaha) Maybe when they see your measurement form they will come up with something, after all that's why they ask us to do them. Good luck, I am almost four weeks post op and doing well. xx

• Posted

Hi Kimberley

I bought an electric recliner on Ebay for 60GBP so that is worth exploring. However I have found that at the beginning you will need a chair with arms and preferably not too low, once you get used to things and build your stringth up you can get out of almost any chair with arms if you stick your bad leg out and get up on one leg. It is much harder from a chair without arms.

Mike

• Posted

Hi today i Have had my pre op assessment. ready for op on 4th August. I have measured my sofa and chars non suitable.i have to have a minimum floor to seat 17 inch. Luckily the bed is 24 so that's alright. I asked about buying some proper cushions but it was a deviate no no. We have stuff for sale sites and i have just picked up a fab chair for £20.19inch 2 arms and a straight back lol You can hire apparently but it can be expensive. The hospital gave me a shoe horn thing,a picker stick and a raised toilet seat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.