Sulcrafate and questran to treat bile reflux?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone! I've  finally seen a gastro doc today because of my frequent heartburn and indisgestion after my gallbladder surgery ( 2 months ago). He thought my reflux is not acid but bile reflux. He said the drug for this is Sulcrafate, but that the moment is out of every shelve in the UK. So he told about taking questran. I thought this drug is more to treat bile salt diarrhoea. I need to ask if there's anybody that has this same symptoms and what meds helped to treat it. Is Sulcrafate good to treat bile reflux and does questran can be used to treat that too? I feel really discomfort 24/7 and need meds to treat the cause of symptoms but don't have idea which are the most appropriatte. He also told me that this reflux might happen for a while until body adjusts. But how long? This uncertainty makes me feel really anxious because I don't know if my body will  ever feel better or not. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Leni I don't know. I haven't had an heart burn attack or acid reflux since my op. I take omeprazole for mine twice a day already. I'm hoping to go back to once a day myself. I hope you find someone with the same thing. I know its no fun. Hang in there. Are you still on a low fat diet? I had my op in Nov. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Lori, I am still on a low fat diet, even before my surgery. I was pregnant when I start having gallstones attacks and my diet was also low. I was very careful with what I ate. I will probably stick to a low fat diet for the rest of my life now I don't have a GB. I just don't undertstand why am I having reflux that causes me heartburn. Maybe it is bile. I hope it gets better in time otherwise my life won't be the same. You take care too.
    • Posted

Leni most likely it the the extra bile. My extra bile is going out in my bowels, green poop. Hang in there. I have seen others who have had the bile heartburn too.

Gall bladder problems run in the familes. So if you had a family member who had it that's why. I had two family members that I know of who lost theirs both sides of my family. Plus I seem to follow my mom health issues.

Congrats on the new baby. I was blessed only with one. But I have six cats and four chickens who are my babies.

If I find some one who has an answer on what to do for you I will let you know. Hang in there and keep asking for help. Some one will have the answers.

Take care. I'm doing better. My fibro has kicked in and we all have a bug here.

• Posted

Lori, Thank you so much for your words, they mean a lot when you going through so much. I had a baby girl on 09 August and then GB surgery on the 07 October. It is been really hard, but I have faith that it will be better, otherwise don't know what else to do. I don't know anyone that has this, so that is why I came to this forum. I am scared that this will only cause other problems in future, like bile gastrtitis, or even cancer. Luckily my mother can get the meds gastro told me about ( sucralfate) for this bile reflux in my birth country-Portugal, so I have to try those and see if I get any better. I still scare though. Glad that you doing better. Take care and let me know please if you find out something else about the bile heartburn/reflux. 
    • Posted

Your welcome Leni. Don't be scared. Your surgery is over with. We both need to make sure we eat right and exercise. Since by daughter started middle I don't go for my walks as much. She has to catch the school bus at 7:05 a.m. pacific time, so its to dark for a walk or to cold here.

I haven't found anything yet on the bile reflex yet.

Trust me I am happy I found this sight too. I'm from Oregon, U.S.A.

Hang in there. Need to chat I will be hear. Been a busy day today. My first period is starting since op. Feeling blah. I haven't slept good the last tonights.

Still doing good. Went to the store and still not were I want to be with energy or walking yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.