SULFASALAZINE

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone is taking this drug for RA and how they find it? I was diagnosed 8 years ago in Spain and treated with Methotrexate, gradually successfully reducing the dose. On returning to the UK one year ago the NHS told me they did not regard the low dose I was taking as therapeutic and it was stopped. I am now at the point where I have to start medication again and I am reluctant to take methotrexate as it would be a much higher dose.

Sulfasalazine is another alternative and appears to have less side effects (especially hair loss).

Any feedback would be so helpful. Thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

1. tried sulfasalazine and had stomach upset (have problems with all drugs) and tried arava for 2 weeks and saw an immediate reduction in swelling and pain in joints, however, very depressed and fatigued. stopped it and my back went into spasm. anyone has any luck or experience with arava?
  • Posted

Like you l was on methotrexate and for various reasons was moved on to Sulfasalazine. l built up the dose slowly but l could not tolerate it. l stopped it straight away because it made me so sick. l hope you respond differently and that it works for you.

• Posted

in have been on it now for about 5 years and not had any problems with it.

And my pain has reduced no end .

but as we say "one mans meat is another mans poison"

• Posted

I have been on it for over 6 years and no side effects.it has helped me but have had hydroxychlorine sulphate added and biologic Abatacept now as through time I wasn't getting enough relief

• Posted

i was on it for about 10 years worked well as most had to stop due to stomache issues but had a goid run .. on hydtroclotaquine now which seems good

• Posted

Hi I've been taking sulfasalzine now for a few months.. I'm on 4 a day.. I had a really upset stomach at first but it's settled down now.. it's alot better than methotrexate

• Posted

Hi I’m the same really this drug make me feel very Nausious within a short space of time I am now on benopali +10 mg of methotrexate and together they seem to be quite effective the methotrexate does cause me hair loss and skin breakout but I have it by injection which helps

regards

• Posted

I am on Methotrexate but I don't take as many as they first put me on I cut it down because I could not function I was so tired on it. But I'm also on sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine

• Posted

I have been on methotrexate(8 tablets) for 17 years along with Enbrel with no problems

• Posted

Hi Maggie. About 3 months into DMARD treatment, I went through perhaps 2-3 months taking slowly increasing doses of sulfasalazine. I didn’t take well to it. It made me nauseous and finally I developed a pinprick rash on my lower legs, ankles and feet. I was then instructed to drop it.

At that time I was already on hydroxychloroquine and methotrexate. The oral methotrexate was also hard on my stomach. Some months later on I switched from oral to subcutaneous injections, which I'm still on. I do pretty well with little pain or inflammation most of the time. My most persistent problem is now fatigue.

• Posted

Had ra 30 years was doing well on EMBREL with small dose of methotrexate which I have taken over the years. Was then admitted to hospital with suspected pneumonia, which turned out to be pneumonitis caused by methotrexate. offany meds for6 months only steroids to help. Tried new med olumiant, but event hat does not seem to be working. Am at my wits end

• Posted

has anyone ever taken Arava, if so what was your experience? Also, do the drugs you take cause extreme fatigue and depression? Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Maggie, I've been on Sulfasalazine for almost 3 weeks now. It does make me tired and a bit low. I can manage that but recently I've been getting a lot of mucous in the back of my throat on and off making me feel like I've got to clear my throat. Also, wheezing quite a lot when laying down. This is really messing with my sleep so not helping the tiredness or mood. It would help if I thought others experienced this too in the hope of normalising it and believing it may pass in time?

• Posted

Hi Maggie, I started taking Sulfasalazine in June 21 and was taken off it in August. It actually worked brilliantly for my pain, no more sleepless nights from pain and walking without limping. However, the side effects hit me with a bang in August. Extreme tiredness, skin discolouration, not yellow but dark like a bruise colour, dizziness and headaches. I also started losing a lot of hair and still am even thought I have stopped taking them. Hate having to wash my hair because if it. Waiting to see my consultant regarding a substitute.

• Posted

Hello Caroline, Sorry to hear Sulfasalazine is not agreeing with you. Its always a disappointment when this happens especially if you start to feel some benefits. I must admit that I was unaware of hair loss being a side effect but sympathise greatly as I suffered this with methotrexate. Sometimes the drugs take a long time to actually leave your body. Was your dose gradually being increased over a period of time, which is normal, before the side effects occurred? I hope you dont have to wait too long before your appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.