Sulfasalazine and folic and.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've being on sulfasalazine for about 14 years now, but have seen info online that says you should be given folic acid if on sulfasalazine which I was never given or told to take, anyone any views or are you on sulfasalazine with or without folic acid, thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just take over the counter folic acid, double the dose because a prescription will only give your 1 or 0.8 whatever the measure is, so two of the 0.4 otc would fulfill that.  However I thought the folic acid was necessary when you take MTX.
  • Posted

I was just going to give the link - then realised I can't on here without it being moderated!

This is a short excerpt from the Royal Berkshire NHS Trust leaflet about sulphasalzine:

"Can you take other medicines with the new treatment?

- Other antibiotics can make Sulfasalazine less effective by interfering with its absorption.

- Sulfasalazine can reduce absorption into the body of the heart drug Digoxin.

- Sulfasalazine can also reduce the absorption of the vitamin Folic Acid. A few people on Sulfasalazine, therefore, need to take a folic acid supplement in the form of tablets.

- If you are on Warfarin, the does may need to be altered". 

So it depends on the patient - if you develop any side effects that are identifiable as due to lack of folate, you need a supplement. The majority of patients probably have enough in their diet to cover them. If you haven't had side effects, especially mouth ulcers, I doubt there is anything to worry about.

Even patients on methotrexate sometimes get away without needing supplements although normally they do need some.

• Posted

I’m also on sulfalazine and started to get a really sore tongue and mouth. I wasn’t given Folic Acid,  do you think this could help?
    • Posted

I don't know - but it is worth asking your doctor. Being on immunosuppressant drugs of any sort can also make you more likely to develop thrush - and that can also cause a sore tongue and mouth. But the doctor is the person to ask as they can see if anything is there.

• Posted

My doctor did prescribe me Leucovorin Calcium (folic acid) because my blood showed a bit low...forgive me I can't remember...liver or kidney markings??? 

So she said just incase I should take these one time a week (4 tabs, 2 morning, 2 evening) 

• Posted

In reference to LayneTX's response, I also take leucovorin which is the metabolized form of folic acid called follinic acid. My MTX prevented me from metabolizing prescription folic acid so I need the follinic acid. The need for it showed up in a blood test, called a CBC, which showed the volume of my red blood cells increased suddenly because of a folic acid deficiency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.